LEUPOLD PRICES---WOW

HOGGHEAD

Wow. I was in the market for a high end LR scope for a rifle I am putting together. I have several Leupold scopes as well as Zeiss and Swaro's. My final decision on this scope was a NF.

I have an older 8.5X25 LR Leupold scope. I bought it a few years ago, and it is a pretty good scope. However I can not understand the price increases that Leupold has taken in their higher end scopes!!

What is Leupold doing differently than before?? Is their product that much better than before?? What changes did they make in the 8.5X20 to justify an almost 50% price increase over the last half dozen years?? When I bought mine I got a good deal-I think I paid $725 for it.

Now I realize the import scopes went up a good bit. But most of that can be attributed to the drastically weaker dollar on the world exchange. But that has no effect on Leupold.

Did they raise their prices just because they could?? Or is their product actually that much better than a few years ago?? What did they do to improve on the 8.5X25 that I have?? I am betting it is the same exact scope?? But I could be wrong.

Personally I think all the high end scope mfrs. are taking us for a ride. Most other products come down in price as technology increases, but optics seem to go in the opposite direction. Tom.

...meanwhile the Chinese lead the way in sales and are actually improving their quality which has led to Chinese mfg. stuff becoming more expensive also.

"Now I realize the import scopes went up a good bit. But most of that can be attributed to the drastically weaker dollar on the world exchange. But that has no effect on Leupold."
It certainly does affect Leupold. Almost all parts used to assemble Leupold scopes are manufactured overseas.

Jack

Originally Posted By: Jack Roberts"Now I realize the import scopes went up a good bit. But most of that can be attributed to the drastically weaker dollar on the world exchange. But that has no effect on Leupold."
It certainly does affect Leupold. Almost all parts used to assemble Leupold scopes are manufactured overseas.

Jack

Jack you may be exactly right about that. However the dollar is not down very much against the yen. However it probably does have something to do with it. Boy to yearn for the day when Leupold's were American scopes?? Tom.

True. My bad.
blush.gif
Just cuz you don't know what I meant, doesn't mean I don't.
laugh.gif

Anyway, we are talking a $600 scope has become a $900 scope. I don't believe that has happened.....

Prices have gone up as they have upgraded and renamed their scope models. I just don't think they have gone up 50%.....

It is not a full 50% that is true, my mistake. However the same 8.5X25 that I bought 5 or 6 years ago has went up over $300 and I paid $725 for mine-so I guess that is around 40%-my mistake. The price increase is great for me if I ever wanted to sell the one I have(not going to happen), but bad if I want to buy another one. And that is what I am considering right now.

When I look back at the prices I paid for some of my Leupold, Zeiss, and Swaro. optics over the years. Well I am just amazed how much appreciation I have accumulated. I hope Uncle Sam does not find out. Tom.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD......Well I am just amazed how much appreciation I have accumulated. I hope Uncle Sam does not find out. Tom.

Look at that as an offset from the price increases. You gotta' pay to play...

-BCb

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunOne more thing I like about Leupold. Holds value tremendously and really easy to sell.......

...and amazing customer service....and they do employ Americans to assemble, market and service them.
smile.gif

I believe the Obama scare has enabled all firearm related companies to gouge,anymore its not what something is worth its what you will pay. ed

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunOne more thing I like about Leupold. Holds value tremendously and really easy to sell.......

This is definately true. I've sold 3 of them and I think I'm a grand total of $15 ahead (minus inflation...), try that with a Bushnell.

Just an observation:

Something increasing in cost year over year at just 3.5% will have increased 41% in 10 years. The magic of compounding.

The consumer price index (how much a basket of commonly purchased stuff increases year over year) has been about 2.6% over the past 10 years.

So if 40% over the past 10 years is the right number, Leupold has increased their prices just under 1% more than everything else that we buy has gone up in price during that same time period.

Meaning not that much.

red china is purchasing or leasing oil & natural gas fields all over the planet...read in a business magazine that RC controls 95% of the world's hi tech mineral trade...either mining it themselves or they're the controlling power behind the scenes...RC is considering stop'n their own mining ops...this is stuff that goes into computers,MILITARY electronic gear,avaiation,ur playstations...why not materials & coatings & glass for optics.

Last edited:
I gotta believe you hit the nail on the head. All firearm related goods and services are riding the wave for as long as they can because they too worry about IF the end of the road is coming under this administration. Thats why we have to support the NRA to have a voice that is heard over the foolishness in Washington. What is funny is that they all yell and scream about firearms until on their own gets nailed by some lunatic and then they want go 180 degrees the other way. Thats so typical of the left wingers.

I bought a H&K USP 40 when I was 21 for $549 and the same gun new now is aroud $750-$800. But hey I did buy a new Leupold LPS 3.8x14x50 w/ Side Focus for less than $625 this year so there are some great deals out there if you hunt!

Back