AR 15 Sling

I have gone thru them all I think, looking for a padded sling for my 14# 24" bb. I am now using a VTAC MK2 & love it so far. I've had enough back surguries to know a good load bearing/dispersing sling when its on me. Just my 2 cents.

P.S.
Yes, I have lighter rifles, but as my luck would have it, the fat one is my most trusted partner.

Originally Posted By: stormkingFor conventional slings, my favorite is the Claw.
+1 on the claw. I use a single point gear sector sling on my RRA coyote carbine though. I have Claws on my Rem 700 and Ruger 10/22.

I bought a Rock River Predator here while back and ask the same question about a sling. I got allot of answers but since I am not familiar with a AR haven't been around AR,s the name of slings and type of attachments don't mean a thing to me so I am still slingless. If any of you have pictures it would help me out.
thanks, Sparky

I like Boonie Packer slings. Rifle carries in ready position at side or behind your back, hands free. When you pull it up the sling drops out of the way of the butt for quick shouldering.

Boonie

Quote:What are you guys using in an AR 15 sling for conventional over the shoulder carry?

I completely ditched that whole concept because either the mag or the pistol grip was continuously digging into my back and the rifle wanted to tip over. Either that or the barrel is catching every piece of limb and brush I'm trying to get under (and there's a lot of it here). The AR is not a friendly rifle to carry like that, for me. I'm always carrying a pack at the same time, and that just made it worse.

But maybe it works for you, lots of people seem to use them.

I went with an entirely different setup and carry my AR cross-body with the muzzle in front of my knee. The more I use it the better I like it.

Just something to consider.

It's shown in this thread:

Tactical sling

If you don't like that, the Claw sling or the Butler Creek neoprene stretch slings are pretty nice for packing a heavy rifle all day. They spread the weight out on your shoulder and have enough "give" that they don't develop a sore spot or try and fold over.

Quote:Rifle carries in ready position at side or behind your back, hands free. When you pull it up the sling drops out of the way of the butt for quick shouldering.

That sounds pretty promising, too. I couldn't tell which one he was talking about from the link, though.
confused.gif

Last edited:
Quote:Vickers is another superb 2 point sling.

I use the Vickers. I did a lot of research before I settled on that one. I'm keeping it.

A standard stock with a free-float tube, if you want to switch to a side-mount 2-point sling, isn't that hard to do. You need a sling point at the stock/receiver junction and a KNS front pivot pin with QD stud and you're good to go.

KNS pivot stud

(Jewell triggers are $195 on that page right now, too. That's a smokin deal)

Rear sling adapter

I like that style since you can thread the sling right to it without adapters that can clank. That's nice and low-profile.

Then you can have something like this:

017.jpg

Or maybe that's not your cup of tea. I'm just showing you some options.

Last edited:
I tried a co-workers Vickers sling tonight, very nice. Very easy to adjust lenght. Looks perfect for across the chest carry muzzle down, or across the back carry. Not sure it would work for across the chest muzzle up, as it would be hard to reach the adjustment tab in that position (they probably all would be). Kind of spendy, but I think I'll pick one up.

Edit: I also tried a Vtac sling which is similar to the Vickers in function, but the Vickers was better. The Vtac had a tail of excess sling left dangling as part of the adjustment, the Vickers does not. Also the sliding adjustment buckle on the Vickers is easier to use and more friendly as it is basicly a flat tri-glide vs. the much larger metal Molle buckle on the Vtac. I sent my Vtac back.

Last edited:
Yeah, the Vickers is nice or I wouldn't recommend it.
wink.gif

I spent a lot of time researching that setup, because I was thinking I was going to have to take my float tube off and install a QD mount on the side.
This worked out a lot better.

The Vickers comes with a bunch of end-adapters, I tossed them all and went straight through locking QD loops, then cable-tied them. Quiet and the sling can't work loose and drop the rifle.

Single Point Sling if using M4 type colapsible butt stock!!! Was turned on to them by spec ops guys while in Iraq 07-08. Adapter that goes between receiver extension and lower receiver to adapt and sling clips on loop on adapter. Adapters can be ordered for left, right, or ambidextrious. Adapter and sling available at most places that sell tactical accessories for the AR platform rifles.

Single point slings can be slung to the either side or across the front, worn under a backpack and really work great with body armor (hope you don't have a need for that heavy stuff).

FYI, the wrench to take off the extension nut is needed. Look out for the take down pin detent and spring up under the adapter!

I'm putting in another vote for the Outlaw Sling. It distributes the weight over both shoulders and makes carrying an AR a lot more pleasant. It is virtually a match made in heaven.

I picked up the Victory sling by Vickers, which is just like Evil's minus the quick disconect buckle section. I wasnt planning to use that part anyway and it was about $20 less than the regular one. Very nice sling.

Back