Mushrooms in Sour Cream Sauce

billyho11

This is a great sauce to top almost any meat. I have eaten it on pheasant, antelope, beef, pork and trout. The base of this recipe comes from a cookbook given to me several years ago “Lowbush Moose” by Gordon R. Nelson A retired Alaska State Trooper.
Ingredients
1 pound fresh mushrooms sliced
¼ cup finely chopped onion
1 clove garlic minced
¼ cup butter
1 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons sherry
½ cup chicken broth
parsley, basil, salt, pepper

Sauté the mushrooms, onion and garlic in the butter until onions are translucent and mushrooms are soft. Turn heat down to low stir in sour cream, sherry and seasoning. I don’t measure the seasonings, I go by taste. Heat the mixture to a point just below boiling, but be careful not to let it boil. Use chicken broth to thin the mixture to the point that the mixture is a little thinner than your desired final thickness ( I guessed on the ½ cup, again I don’t measure) Let the sauce heat back up to the point just below boiling and serve. You really can’t mess this recipe up unless the lid falls off your salt shaker or something like that. I like to serve the meat on a bed of noodles or rice with the sauce dumped over everything. This recipe will make enough sauce to do 4-5 adult plates of food. Also stores and reheats well as long as you’re careful not to boil it on the reheat.

Back