ANYONE SHOOTING A 6.8 spc ON COYOTES??

NE223

I really can’t afford another upper right now anyway but I was just wondering if anyone was shooting the 6.8 spc on coyotes? And if so what their results were?

I’m kind of interested in the round as it sounds like it performs very well out of a 16 inch barrel, that’s what I use now in 223 and I like that length for where I hunt. Additionally most of my shots have been under 300, my partner usually has a 22-250 or bigger for longer shots. Plus it’s an excuse for another upper when the economics will support one.

I've been shooting the 6.8 spc for a few years now killed a bunch of coyotes with it also one deer.
It's my favorite coyote gun 16" barrel, nikon 1.5X6X42 scope great gun from 0-200yrds

Gary

I shoot a Bushmaster with a 16" barrel. I've only had one kill and I used a factory V-max and it put him down quick. I thought the bullet would blast out the other side of the coyote[ about 35 yds.]The bullet never did an exit. I have since bought some 90 gr. Speer H.P's and think I will have different results.I like to have it as a deer& coyote gun.The round shoots pretty flat at 200 yds.I like it very much and it gives you a little more power for larger game.I have several 223 ARs but will keep my 6.8

All of the kills I've made on coyotes with my 6.8 has pretty much been with the 90 gr TNT bullets and they have torn up the dogs pretty bad. When you hit bone it blows the bone frags through the pelt and leaves some ugly holes. Even though one round usually kills them, I have had a few get up and try leaving just to fall over dead a few yards away and a couple it took a second round for some serious down time. I think the 110gr. V-MAX bullet is a better hunting bullet but I purchased the 500 bulk box of 90's and I'm using them up for now.

There has been a lot of good advancement made to the rifling and chamber areas of the 6.8 and I would strongly encourage you to do some research prior to just simply purchasing any 6.8 barrel, They simply are NOT all created equal.

I will probably be using the 6.8 this year for deer hunting and I have all of the confidence in the world for it's capability to take deer or elk within reasonable distances. I will be using it pretty much this year all season mainly to try out a few more bullets for performance. I don't save pelts so I could care less about holes, just something you might want to consider before you go that route.

Sorry I didn't elaborate in my other post but I was at work and on their time. I would also like to try a 6.8 necked to 25 caliber and use 75 and 85 grain bullets, I think that would be the catzazz.

Havent shot anything with my RRA 16" 6.8spc, but so far the SSA 110gr loads seem to have plenty of umph..However, I reloaded up some speer 130gr hot cor and am going to give them a try this winter. If they are accurate enough that should lay the smack down on something..However, my next project will be to get and load up some of the speer 90gr HP;s for plinking and popin dogs.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm a member of the 6.8 forums but most of the talk over there is hogs and deer, with not much said about hunting coyotes. I figured this would be the best place to find out about that.

Right now I'm in the research phase, my personal economic situation is going to need to improve before I can buy another upper. But the 6.8 sounds like it's worth looking at when the time comes.

I've yet to administer a coupe de grace after the initial 90 gr. Speer, the 100 gr. TNT is also devastating and worth a look if your not into fur harvest. I'm going to try some 130 gr. sub loads this year, should be the ticket out to 75 yards + or -. With luck I'll get to try this combo out in Texas come late January, should be ideal with the attached muffler.

Speer 100gr HP's are some bad boys shot one coyote at 30yrds behind the right shoulder bullet exited in front of the left shoulder fist sized hole and you could look in it and see the entrance hole (as in see daylight through the hole)

I know the 6.8 has the edge on stuff in close but wouldn’t it also give a guy more killing power 350 yards down range than the 223 could deliver?

I doubt that I’d shoot much further than that, right now I’m limiting my shots with the 223 to about 250. If they are past that then I’ll bring out a different rifle.

I don’t reload and I don’t save fur.

My buddy shoots a 6.8 spc. I'd tell you how it works on coyotes if he actually ever hit one! Seriously. He killed an elk with it last year. It killed the elk fine but didn't leave much of a blood trail to follow.

My 6.8 is my "go to" gun, plain and simple!! Even in a SBR config, it's proven VERY effective out to 300 on deer. That said, I have popped a few yotes using my favorite factory ammo, 110PH in the Tactical loading, from SSA. One shot DTR's are no problem but a bit messy.

If you don't collect hides, most any offering from SSA will do the job. Just find a load you gun likes and have at it!!

I have a few handloads I brewed up over the summer I'll be trying later this year. Accuracy is very good and these may be a bit more fur friendly than the Pro Hunters. I'll report back when I get some field time with these.

I also use the AR 6.8 on coyotes. The 90gr Sierra HP and the Speer 90gr TNT does a good job on coyotes.
For me the V Max is not as accurate as other bullets so I don't use them.
I use the Sierra 110gr Pro Hunter on deer with outstanding results.
The Sierra 90gr HP is tougher than the TNT or V Max and seems to be better if you save the fur.
There's a lot of other good bullets you can use depending on the game that you're hunting or if you want to just shoot paper.
As others have said, check out 68forums for lots of good
6.8 SPC information.

I use a 6.8SPC exclusively (as a long gun) for coyotes. I was using a AR .223. The 6.8 is a Thompso. Encore with a 18" barrel... Very easy to carry in backpack. That's great because I double gun. Every coyote I've shot has been DRT no running what so ever! I use 85 grain Barnes X and they shoot great! Over 90% are taken with my Benelli. The long gun allows for the reach out and touch'em..... Good to 500 yards....

There is a down side. It makes a mess of fox and bobcats.... That's shotgun range anyways..... I'll never go back to the .223 for yotes....

Have not got a coyote yet, but have shot several Texas hogs and a deer with 6.8 (Barrett REC7 and Hornady 110gr OTMs). First hog was shot at 180 yards and went down in it's tracks.

I am carrying this gun on coyote calling sessions loaded with Hornady 110gr V-max.

Back