Wolf Dimensions

BoomSplat

Looking for dimensions on a wolf to use in making full size target. Would like the depth of the chest (top of back to bottom of chest with fur or without need to know which) and nose to base of tail. Thanks for any help provided. Wolf season opens here on the first of the month, unless the huggers and judges shut it down again.

Boom

46 views and only one reply! I thought there would be some active wolf hunters in the Great White North. Guess not.

Last edited:
Boomsplat, try this. It works great.

Type in *size of a wolf* in a search engine such as yahoo or google. In about 45 seconds of reading you will know the answers to your questions and the size of a typical wolf.

Quote:Extensive studies of the North American wolf species show between 57 to 76 inches in total nose-tip-to-tail-tip length. Of that length, one quarter is tail length. Wolves Stand between 26 and 34 inches high at the shoulder.

Here's a skeleton, you can probably come pretty close to figuring out all the dimensions you need.

Wolf skeleton

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. doggin, believe me I have spent a few hours on the search engines reading about wolves. I have yet to find the depth of ones chest given. I have talked to two Idaho biologist that supposedly worked with the wolves HERE and have not gotten any hard numbers, just a " I'll get back with you". If you can find it in a minute or so, point me to the web site. I would appreciate it.

Boom

Back