Can you recomend a good .22 Mag Auto

DoubleCK

All the fun has sure gone out of my 597 .17 HMR. Remington seems to be unwilling to help. I won't make a mistake on a Remington or an HMR again.

Anybody have any good thoughts on a Semi-Auto .22 Mag?

Yea the Remington 597 in 22 mag Heavy barrel.
grin.gif
They quit makin it but mine has never gave me too much trouble except they gave me a free trigger group once cauce i had a little piece break off.I just put a Jarvis hammer in it new.IMO Remington needs to replace all those 597 17 HMR with a new and better 597 at there cost.

BCSF,

I am looking for a 597 .22 Mag take-off barrel to swap out on my HMR. I tried to talk to the folks at Remington about a re barrel solution to the 597 HMR problem. Like talking to a brick wall.

TRy and find a good used 10/22 mag but be prepared to pay dearly. They sometimes have their own issues but all can be easily addressed through the thriving after market accessories for the 10/22

My HMR has been really accurate. I have been told that, due to the ammo quality, the .22 Mags won't deliver exemplary, consistent accuracy. Has that been your experience?

BCSF, how is the accuracy on your .22 Mag 597?

DoubleCK on my 597 .22 mag I can usually put 5 shots touching at 50yrds on paper.I use the Remington 33gr. V-max ammo to do that.That ammo by the way is made by CCI for Remington.Most of my stock pile is the green tip in paper box.The rounds are stamed R on the end.When remington made it it was stamped REM on the ends.I was told it was junk and no good so Remington quit making it.And CCI started making it for big green then.The New stuff in the plastic boxes is brown tipped.I have shot it too and good stuff also but mostly at small critters so I don't know how well they grop but think it might do as well.I also shoot the winchester supreme in 34gr. and while I have not shot it on paper I can shoot sage rats in the head up to 100yds if I do my part.I would say in my gun they have the same point of impact which I'm glad.My wife bought it New shortly after they came out cause I had a buddy who just bought one and his was a 1 hole bug hole shooter too.He bought some ammo for it from some place that made cutom .22mag ammo in I think 35gr.V-max.Some way they pull the bullet and replaced it with that.His rifle was the newest with only 1 guide rail and plastic mags.But he still didn't have no problems with it.I think for the most part the 17hmr and 22lr in the 597 from what I've read had or have had problems.Like I said my trigger group is a new one.We both installed Jarvis ma Target hammers in ours and they give us about a 2lb pull.They no longer make them.The VQs I think its like buying a box of choclates or the guns are being more sloopy made so the trigger pull varies.My buddy passed away but I still have mine and really like the looks and how it feels and shoots!I asked Remington last yr why they discontinued the 597 .22mag laminted stock.I was told it didn't sell well.That could be true.But.....I think folks thought they had the same problems as the Long Rifes did in 597 and also gunshop owners only went by rumors and refused to carry them so the average Joe never got a chance to see one let alone buy one unless it was custom ordered.I was lucky enough to try my buddys and so the wife ordered me one.I think he told her to buy something else but he told em he knows what he wants LOL Sorry I got long winded to a simple question.

After close to 1000 rounds down the tube, I love my 597 HMR. Just can't get past the possibility that these Remington BeanCounters and Lawyers might be right. Don't like the idea of having bad thoughts in the back of my mind every time I pull the trigger.

I got in line today with VQ for a custom conversion to .22 Mag and trigger upgrade. Decent deal. I will be going that route with my HMR 597.

The outstanding stance taken by Magnum Research on their HMR guns sure gets my attention. Might have to have one of those just on principle.

After getting blown off by Remington three times I have to cool off little before making any decisions.

Dude , just skip the .22mag semi auto. I have yet to hear of one that is worth owning. Just get a good old bolt gun!

Sako quad if you can find one and if not then a cz would be good.

TripleDeuce , Excactly !! I have a cheap a$$ bolt Savage HMR and the accuracy is too good to be true. I'm a center-fire guy myself so dont use it for much, other than to put a smile on my face, scratching my head wondering just how the heii does that tiny cartrige shoot soo danged good... Mike

PS: the Hornady's have always shot the best through this rifle.

Quote:I got a MR .22mag. Shoots excellent. Trigger is junk.

Yeah, it's just amazing that they put out such a nice rifle and won't spend $50 to drop a Volquartsen action kit in it. I bet that costs them sales.

Not wanting to start a flame war but I have a 10/22 mag that I feel would shoot with any bolt 22 mag I have seen. Granted I have spent some money to make it reliable and accurate and you can definitely get a cheaper bolt gun that will shoot without spending big bucks. I do like my 10/22 though

I found a used marlin 922M at a gunshop about 2 years ago for a very resonable price. It is deadly accurate & never malfunctions. I have used it for hogs, fox/bobcat, and with solids, it works great on headshot squirrels.
for hogs and etc, I like the CCI 40gr Gamepoints.

+1 on Magnum Reserch. I had to rework trigger. Love it now. Had to rework trigger in my 10-22 also. I have not seen a good trigger on a 10-22. Both shoot accurate and reliable now. Fun to shoot feels and looks good in your hands. Tink Tink

I know you said you would not make the mistake on a Rem again, but that is where my vote goes. My 597 22mag shoots great and I have not had any reliability issues in high heat/humidity to freezing temps and snow. Did do the trigger, float the barrel and tune the guide rail tension though...

B

If you want one of the best semi 22mags made look up a BRNO 611. They are pricey but you won't be disappointed. Hop over to rimfirecentral.com and look around in the CZ forum. Lots of guys post about theirs in there. CZ/BRNO are kinda cousins. Real wood and all metal, old-world workmanship. There's one on gunbroker, bid is at $500 with 4+hrs togo. I doubt it will stay in that range, if so somebody is getting a sweet deal.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=137745065

peace.
unloaded

Last edited:
All great feedback. Thanks guys!

I used the 597 .17 HMR as my Ranch ATV gun. It lived in the rack on the Rubicon. I started with a Savage bolt HMR and it worked well. The 597 was just so darn much fun in the dog towns or when you run into a little bunch of raccoons or porcupines! The center fires are just a bit to loud and intimidating for our deal here and I can't bring myself to throw the ole 121 Field Master in that rack.

I picked up a .22LR Marlin Model 60 SN today and stuck a Burris FF2 2X-7X on it tonight. 19" Micro Groove barrel, 14 shot tubular magazine, Synthetic stock, 5 lbs. and yes, Semi-Auto. Used the Laser Bore Sighter that I got on PM "Pay It Forward" (Worked Great, Many Thanks) on it and will try it out soon. Cheaper to shoot. I guess it will work as my ATV gun for now.

I did get my 597 HMR the list for a VQ custom .22 Mag barrel and a VQ trigger job. We will see how that works out.

Again, thanks for all the great ideas. PM is awesome!

Back