6 x 45

Tjkiller

Now that we have this dedicated thead, im lookin for a 6x45 barrel. Dtech is the only option so far, i want more than one option before commiting. Any recommendations?

I have a DTech Shilen barreled 6X45 and it has shot the two smallest groups that I have ever shot so its not a bad option to have.
cool.gif

You'll be looking a LONG time to find a bbl as good as Dtech's. If you're determined to search other options, PacNor might offer a 6X45 bbl? Other than that, you're looking at purchasing a blank and having it chambered/profiled. I found a Rock Creek 6X45 bbl on Gunbroker for the right price, shoots little bitty groups, but it was dumb luck finding it.

Tjkiller
What kind of stick are you wanting to build on the 6x45?
Lightweight calling rig?
Varmint/target rig?
'Do it all' rig?

DTECH built both of my 6x45s and I love them dearly!
The 16" SUM throws 60gr Sierras as fast as my 20" .223 throws a 60gr Vmax. Shorter/lighter package and more knockdown power from the same parent case...

The 20" fluted Shilen is just scary accurate with 70gr Blitzkings.

Scott, that 6mmAR does look interesting for pushing those heavy bullets at distance. Gonna have to read up more on that one...

Originally Posted By: scottmilk9Have you looked into the 6mmAR? Very good balistics. I'm not to fond of the short neck on the 6mmAR turbo though.

Scott, tell me more about that 6mmAR.

I think one reason the 6x45 has gained popularity is that it's based on the .223 brass, and it won't lower your magzine capacity, nor force you to get special mags.

Thanks,

Barry

the 6mmAR is based off the 6.5 grendel case. It shoots the 85-108gr bullets and gets a lot better ballistics than the 223.
I still believe the .223 is the best coyote hunting round out there for price, availability, ease of reloading and knockdown power out to 300yds.
My suggestion on the 6mmAR is for further shots and bigger animals. I know some folks hunt hogs down in texas with the 223, but i like the knockdown of the 6mmar only for that and longer(400+) shots.

Mine is a Dtech, 20" Olympic barrel in 6x45. Simply put, I love it. It's a great rifle and a great cartridge, perfect in my opinion for predator hunting. I shoot 75 gr. Sierra HPs.

It's an easy matter to neck up 223 brass to 6x45. One pass through the die, champher the neck a little and that's all there is to it.

ARBobcat.jpg

Coyote3.jpg

Y it would be ideal, i use 70 grainers in my 243, so i could use the same bullet. I got time to build one since im stuck out here in NC for the next 2 yrs.-Thx for the input. Sounds like such an ideal cartridge, i wander why it isnt commercially produced or the military doesnt consider it.

That 75 Sierra HP is a pretty sturdy bullet at 6x45 velocities isn't it?

Doesn't really act like a traditional varmint bullet I have found.

Kills well though...

Mike Milli AKA DTech has killed some deer with his I believe. It seems I remember reading that the 6x45mm is quite popular in S. Africa for the smaller deer sized antelope.Also on Remington's website there is a survey asking what wildcat should be standardized and the 6X45mm is the top vote getter.I have not tryed mine on deer but it has worked well on some other critters.
IMG_0234.jpg

limestonecountyhunt007.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

Last edited:
GregW,

You are correct about the 75 gr. Sierra HP being sturdy in the 6x45 cartridge. The lower velocity of the 6x45 makes the 75 grainer behave with a more controlled expansion.

Several years ago I had a Remington 700 heavy barrel in a 6mm Rem. that I used for groundhogs, and I used the 75 gr. Sierra HPs. I stocked up on some bullets. They were pure death on groundhogs and sometimes put some impressive wounds in them. When I got the 6x45, I decided to give the Sierras a try. What I found was this bullet in the 6x45 acts differently than from the faster 6mm Rem. cartridge.

Most of the time the exit wound is about the size of a quarter, give or take a little. It penetrates well but doesn't blow gaping holes in the fur. In my opinion, it's a great predator hunting cartridge and I like it better than the 223. For one thing, the frontal diameter of the bullet is greater and it packs a wallop, especially on coyotes with my limited experience hunting them.

In my experience, a 55 gr. soft point in a 223 does far more damage to bobcats, while the 75 Sierra HP performs in a better way, generally. I had one bad wound on a bobcat due to the angle where the bullet hit the shoulder.

Venatic,

Mike Milli told me he has a friend who uses the 6x45 quite a lot for deer and has taken several with it over the years. You are also correct that it is relatively popular in Africa.

The 6x45 is probably what the military should have developed instead of the 223.

Here are some 6x45 kills, all with the Sierra 75 gr. HPs.

GasRoadCat.jpg

EditedBobcat2.jpg

Bobcats3.jpg

Coyote2-3.jpg

DSCN1463.jpg

6x45'd deer last year using the 75 Sierra per above discussion...

Exit side shown here. This ain't your ordinary varmint bullet at these speeds. Insides thrashed and the blood trail was pretty spectacular on this sausage candidate...

107 yard shot and she went 40 yards. She bled more than any deer I've ever shot...

I'd have ZERO qualms of shooting deer or pigs with this bullet based on my field experiences. My MV is a smidge less than 2900...

Always have exits of fox, cats, and coyotes but are very minimal. Everything below deer sized that I have taken with it has died on the spot...

I've got a bolt gun coming in a few months in 6x45 as well..

Last edited:
An old gunsmith friend of mine turned me onto the 6 X 45 about 15 years ago. He had used a Sako receiver to build his first 6 X 45 many decades ago. He retrofitted the rifle to accept Ruger Mini 14 magazines, and has used it for deer hunting and varmint control ever since.

I started deer hunting with my first 6 x 45 AR about 15 years ago. I have taken many deer with it, as well as countless long-range varmint. For deer, I started out using the 85 grain Nosler partition. Over the years I have tried several other bullets for deer, but have always come back to the Nosler.

Like I said earlier, I have killed many deer over the years with the 6 x 45, and all have been quick kills, and I have never had to "look" for any of them. I have, especially in later years, killed deer with the .243 WSSM, .25 WSSM and the 6.8 SPC, all chambered on an AR-15. I shoot everything I build, but out of all of them, I still end up coming back to the 6 X 45.

Back