.17 HMR Safety Notice in Semi-Autos

DoubleCK

Anyone have more info on the specifics of the safety problem with the use of .17 HMR ammo in Semi-Auto rifles?

I have talked with the folks at Remington. They say Federal made the call. I have not been able to reach anyone at Federal.

Been trying to find out also and no real reason. Did notice on Remfirecentral, where a person had chronographed his rounds, which were running 2700+ on two or three rounds, before he had one fire out of battery. So far the lots I've tested with my 597 have been in 2300 FPS range. I just plan on testing each lot before using.

I have been a loyal Remington guy since I got a M660 6mm Remington for 8th grade graduation in 1970. Since then I have owned literally 70 to 100 Remington firearms. There are currently 10 Remington guns living with us here at the ranch.

Before I bought my Remington 597 .17 HMR I called and got some great advice from a very helpful Tech at Remington. After shooting the gun, I told everyone who would stand still long enough to listen how terrific it was and how it was more fun than any gun I had packed for years. A good pal even bought one after we spent a day together in a DogTown.

I hope everyone can see that I am a long time Remington fanatic!

I talked with a very nice guy at Remington today. No explanation, no apology; a $200 coupon as a come on to apply toward a new retail Remington!

PM Sponsor or not, I'm sorry, this Ain't right! Sounds a lot like some other (Federal Program) BS we are seeing in this country these days. Smells like the buy one get one free come on at the local sandwich shop. Turning a deal like this into a promo is beyound.

Yes, Remington will be hearing more from me.

It is total crap and if I owned a 597 I'd be as pissed as you. I guess there's two ways of looking at it.

One, pass on the voucher and stick it in the safe hoping it'll be worth more some day.

Or

Two, keep shooting it like you have for thousands of rounds with no problems thus far.

Tough call, but I'd probably just keep shooting mine.

Thanks DD. Good logic.

Right now I feel like I want to dump everything Remington. But sure had to see the old 660s and my Dad's 121 Field Master go.

Hope you guys can see where I am coming from.

I can definitely see where you are coming from. I USED to be a remington fanatic also but if you gave me one today I would trade it tomorrow. Something needs to be done about them offering much less for the gun than the purchase price. Of course they can always wait and hope someone doesn't get hurt firing one and hope that same person doesn't get a big time lawyer. I suspect that offer amount for return probably would go up then.

I must be missing something here. I understand it's an inconvenience to turn the gun back, but hey, they manned up and are taking the hit like they should. I bought the 597 in both 17hmr and 22 mag,as well.Both were purchased new at Sportsmans Warehouse,and both were just under $200. Man if somebody paid too much, I guess you have a right to be mad. But it's not Remington's fault you paid too much. It really seems to be the ammo's fault, not the rifle. I've put several thousand rounds through each without any problems,I suppose I'll keep mine.

Here is the way I see it.

Remington currently lists MSRP at $492 for the 597 .22 Magnum. Cabela's has some used .22 mags in their system at $350.

Remington wants folks to send their .17s in and get a COUPON that represents what I would say is at or less than the wholesale value of the gun, $200 COUPON. Remington has had the money (Let's say Wholesale $200+) on many of these guns for several years (invested).

Keep in mind this COUPON can only be applied to the purchase of a new Remington firearm. I suspect Remington knows the percentage of these that will never be used.

Basically Remington breaks even or a little better on the deal and they get the gun/parts back. We get the chance to try and find a decent deal on a new Remington that we can use in order to use the fifty cent on the dollar COUPON. For Remingtion this guarantees the sale of another new Remington firearm. Great Promo at the expense of their customer(s).

All this with no real information that helps us to make any kind of an informed decision.

They should be offering to re barrel to .22 Mag or upgrade in some way.

Oh by the way, I'll swap you this collector .17 for that bargain .22 Mag of yours.

Look at this!

This came from the Magnum Research Web site.

Now that is customer service.

Quite a stark contrast.

All Magnum Research Customers
Magnum Research, Inc.
MagnumLite .17HMR Semi-Automatic Rifles

It has come to our attention that certain lots of .17HMR ammunition may exhibit performance problems. These problems could result in damage to your rifle and may be capable of causing injuries to shooters or bystanders.
Although performance of ammunition is outside the control of Magnum Research, we take safety concerns seriously.
For any customer who has purchased a Magnum Research . 17HMR rifle, and has a concern about this issue, please contact our Customer Service Department at 1-800-772-6168

By your request, if you decide to return your rifle, Magnum Research will either refund the purchase price of the rifle, or replace the rifle with an equivalent one in a
different caliber.

As always, ensure you are wearing approved eye and ear protection anytime you are shooting,
and consult your owner's manual for further warnings and information regarding the proper
function of your firearms.

Ok here is the problem. Some of the 17 HMR cases are ruptureing out of the side of the rim on the case. I have had some just blow particals of powder and gases back at my face and one day i had one that really blew.. There was so much pressure when it blew that it knocked the mag. out of the rifle and a small piece of what ever hit me on the side of the face, if i did'nt have my safety glasses on it could of been more serious i would think.. I'm not sure if its the ammo or the bolt on the action not closeing completely, oh i was useing Hornady ammo at the time i had the problems..
The problems i had was on my magnum research rifle and the rem 597 seems to be working well but i'm not going to take any chances so i'll ship my rem. back and see if i can get a 22 mag from Magnum research..

Ta,

Thanks for the first hand info.

I agree. I can't take a chance on mine either.

Do you need a new gun from Remington.

Think about sending your 597 to VQ for a .22 Mag conversion and trigger upgrade.

DCK

I've never paid MSRP for any Remington I've ever bought.

The only 597 I bought I paid $139 new in 22LR a couple of years ago... I recognize the 22 Mag/17 HMR rifles cost a bit more.

It was one of the few truly inaccurate 22 LR rifles I've ever bought....

LOL....! In time with the thread yesterday/today.... It went to a gun show...

-BCB

I know some of you guys are the master at finding NIB guns for below wholesale. Let me know if you run across a 597 .22 Mag for $200.

BCB,

Thanks for the link. I couldn't find any Mags there either.

Remington MSRP is $492 for the bottom line 597 .22 Mag. Cabela's has used 597 .22 Mags in the system for $350.

Keep looking and let me know when you find me that $200 NIB 597 .22 Mag. I'll take one.

Many Thanks

there are some hmrs on gunsamerica for $200something. I almost wanted an hmr before this came out. I guess I could buy one cheap and get a barrel to swap to WMR.

I couldn't find them on GA. Let me know if you are serious about buying one.

Mine is the Synthetic Heavy Barrel w/o sights. Great shape. I will take $250 plus shipping.

Back