22-250 load

Randy 3

Hello
I am looking for an accurate load for a Rem. 700 sps varmint. I have tried Varget 34.6-36.4 gr.,Hornady 50 gr Vmax,.030 off the lands, Win. primers and brass. Also have tried Amax 52gr. and Nosler 50gr. with the above. The best group so far has been 5 shots, 1.1 inches at 100 yards with the Noslers. I was wondering if I should try some flat base bullets and if so which ones. I don't have alot of time to try a bunch of different loads as I am going to WY.on Sept 12 to go praiere dog hunting. I really need to find a load quick so I can get started reloading for the trip.

Stay with the Varget and put a 52 grain Berger in front of it. We have 3 22-250s ourselves that shoot 36 grains(work up to it)of varget between .4" and .75" at 100 yards. The other one shoots 35.5 into .5"-.75" at 100 yards. Just off the lands works good in 2 of these, the other 2 were seated to mag length. This bullet works great on prairie dogs, althought the B.C sucks.

my 250 load is 53 Seirra matchkings over IMR 4064 ( 36 gr), RP brass and CCI primer loaded to the lands. I shoot this in two rifles, ( keeping the brass seperate for each ) a 700 rem and a custom single shot with shilen tube. It works very well for me.
John

Try the same bullets you have with H-380 I dont think you will be dissapointed. I have used that powder with three different guns and four or five bullets and it is a great powder. Just make sure you use Large rifle mag primers. Good luck and post the results if you do.

Just completed some very extensive testing with a new Tikka T3. I have played with this caliber for many years in several differant rifles. Most every gun loved the H-380. But with the new powders being temperature resistant/sensitive I was bound and determined to find something a little better. My goal was to use a 55 grainer running at least 3650fps. Varget shot good, but, when I stumbled on RL-15 and Berger Varmints in front of a WLR primer seated .010" off the lands the search was over. I will not post the powder charge because it's a smoker and dont want anyone to get in trouble, if you've reloaded much you'll know what to do...
Good luck !

Last edited:
My 22-250 shoots a couple of loads well.
The most accurate load is 32.6 grains of Benchmark, 55 grain Sierra HPBT's and Fed 210 primers. Bullets seated .010 off the lands.
The second load is 35.5 grains of Varget, all else the same.
These groups were both less that 1/2" at 100 yards for 3 shots, using a 36x scope.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyPopmy 250 load is 53 Seirra matchkings over IMR 4064 ( 36 gr), RP brass and CCI primer loaded to the lands. I shoot this in two rifles, ( keeping the brass seperate for each ) a 700 rem and a custom single shot with shilen tube. It works very well for me.
John

Same here with 4064; I load 36 grains with a Nosler 52HPBT and CCIBR2's

55gr Sierra Gameking 1365 Spitzer Boat Tail
35gr Varget
2.365 OAL
Winchester Standard Primer

This is a great hunting load, very accurate, I don't bother with anything else. Highly recommend.

I shoot an old Ruger 22-250 Varminter and the load it likes is a Sierra 52 Gr. HPBT match, 35.5 GR's of N140,CCI 200 primer, WW cases.
Another one it likes is a Sierra 63 Gr, SMP.- 35 GR's of Imr 4064,- CCI 200 primer in WW cases.

DAB

From polls I did on another popular reloading site a few years ago I learned the following.
Most shooters favored the following powders H380, Varget, and IMR4895 with Hornady, Nosler, or Sierras in the 55gr and followed by 50gr bullets. You should have successs with those components, although you might find other components perform better in your rifle. These polls certainlly narrow the field.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunOriginally Posted By: tt35RL-15 is temperature sensitive.

Compared to what?

From what I've seen/heard from Flybusters rifles is that if you leave it in your chamber when its hot you will throw a shot high. Just what I've heard/seen.

Yeah Verminator2, that makes sence also, but, most people develope their loads on a beautiful summer day in their T-shirts and expect that load to preform the same when pulling the trigger on that trophy Bull on a November morning when it's 20 degrees.
From what I understand, some of the newer powders, especially the Hogden Extreme's and Alliant's have a coating which helps regulate the pressures, keeping velocities more consistant and pressure in check.
Heck , out here in the high country, a person might be hunting Yotes in December and get a 50 degree temp swing in just a matter of a couple hrs.
Normally it says right on the Powder bottle if it's temp sensitive/resistant. All in All , it's a good thing !

My pet 22-250 load - Rem 700 heavy varmint.

Sierra 55 gr. SBT [#1365]
34.5 gr. VihtaVuori OY – N135.
CCI-200 \ COL 2.390” \ Ave fps = 3652
Prints .920” groups at 200 Y.

B..

Thanks for all the suggestions.Talked to a competition bench shooter yesterday and he suggested that I move the bullet to .005 off the lands and work up different loads starting low and going up using the same components that I am using now. He also suggest a 40 gr. vmax with a 1 in 14 twist as that is what he shoots. First I'm going to try moving the bullet closer to the lands.If that doesn't work then I'll try some of your suggestions. Thanks for the info. I'll keep you posted on the results.

Back