Your choice of optics

Jeff Mock

I'd like to hear what kind of glass you guys have on your rigs, and why you chose what you did. Scope types, power, reticles, etc.

Pics would be cool as well.

Im only using 4 brands. Simmons, "because it came on the rifle" when I bought it used.

Bushnell Nikon and Mueller on the rest. Id have to say that price dictates what I buy. If Money were no object, Id be more than willing to branch out. lol

As far as reticles, most are standard crosshairs, The Mueller has a mildot, and the Nikon has a target dot.

I have Leupold(6)Nikon(2)Bushnell(2)Ziess(2)Weaver(1) I have had Burris(2)Meopta(1)Redfield(3)
I need a couple of Nightforce...maybe soon.

I have Leupold scopes on every rifle I own except one, which is a Pre-64 Winchester Model 70 .300 H&H that wears a vintage Weaver KV variable because it's a great period piece.

I use Leupolds because they're a proven company that offers a lot of bang for the buck, plus their warranty is second to none. I like their 2.5-8x36mm, 3-9x40mm, and 3.5-10x40mm variables with regular duplex reticles, although I do have a 4-12x40mm with the LR duplex reticle mounted on a .22-250. Also have a couple Leupold's on big-game rifles that have M1 elevation turrets. For a calling rifle, I like something with low magnification and a wide field of view on the low end.

I also use Leica 10x42 Geovids, Vortex Kaibab 15x56mm binos, and a Minox MD62 spotting scope.

For fur hunting i use a 17 Fireball XP-100 handgun with the Burris Mini 4-12x Ball. Plex reticle.

I also use the 3-9x PFI Rapid Reticle on my AR. Here's an article on it-- http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/long-range-coyotes-scope-1.php

For post-fur season i use another XP-100 handgun in 6.5 WSM with a 6.5-20x FFP Leup. with Darrell Holland's Ultimate Mil Reticle.

I also use a 6mm AI 700 with another 3-9x PFI Rapid Reticle--this time the RR600.

I also carry a pair of Leica Geovids with a new 2.5x Bushnell power booster that i'm testing as the most portable spotting scope system.

I am a long time Leupold user. However, I have steadily converted over to Burris FF2s because I like the Ballistic Plex reticle. 4.5X14, 2x7, 3X9(5). I have found these scopes to be exemplary in every way. Bright, Accurate, Dependable, Light Weight and attractive. For me they are a lot of scope for the money.

I also picked up a Brunton 6X24. Seems ok so far.

I do still think Leupolds rock!

Rem 600 6x45mm Leupold VX-II 1x4x20mm Duplex

Stevens 200 22-204 Sightron-II 1.5x6x40mm Duplex

Stevens 200 6mm-204 Nikon Monarch 1.5x4.5x20mm Duplex

Savage 11 25-204 Leupold Vari-X II 1x4x20mm Duplex

Stevens 200 250 Sav. Carbine 4200 Elite 1.25x4x24mm ill dot

Rem 700 243 Win Sightron II 3x9x40mm Duplex.

I find FOV far more important to me than X's

AWS

I'm a Burris (FF II)fan. My experience has been they're one of the best values out there. My calling rifles usually get a 3-9X40, 4.5-14 on my longer range varmint rifles. Last season I purchased my first Timberline series in a 2-7 X 26 for a 16" AR Flattop, I'm really liking this set up. All w/ BPlex reticles.

Sure, if $ was no object, all my rifles would have US Optics or Nightforce.

I have spent the better part of the last year upgrading the glass on all of my rifles. I still need to get one topped off but I am really close.

VX-III in 4.5-14 x 50 VH reticle
VX-3L in 4.5-14 x 50 VH reticle
VX-III LR in 6.5-20 VH reticle
Bushnell Elite 6500 in 2.5-16 x 44 DOA reticle
Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20 x 50 MD
Nikon Monarch 6.5-20 x 44 FCH
Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 BDC
Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15 x 40 NP

Originally Posted By: stormkingI'm a Burris (FF II)fan. My experience has been they're one of the best values out there.
+1 excellent scope for the $$$ and great customer service if you need it.

Just have a hard time not going with Leupold but I do have one Bushnell 2.5-16x40 in a Larue mount that I'm trying on my calling rifle this season, a 20" AR in .204. I figure the magnification range will be great enough that I won't have to switch scopes if I want to shoot varmints with it in the Spring. I also have one Zeiss 6.5-20x on a heavy barrel AR .204 that came on the rifle when I bought it. The Zeiss has a mildot which I really like for varmint shooting. I just picked up an 8.5-25x Leupold with the VH reticle which looks really sweet but I haven't tried it out in the real world yet. Everything else are duplex which work great for me. My favorite optic that I would most hate to part with, however, is a set of Leica BRF 10x42's with the built in rangefinder--extremely handy and excellent glass. Maybe not a huge deal for predators/big game but they are very nice for varmints when shooting and calling a lot of shots in a day.

Gotta love a nice piece of glass.
smile.gif

A few years ago, when I started out in 3-gun competitions, I picked up a 2-7x Leupold Rifleman for action comps, but had trouble with seeing the reticle when rapidly moving from one target to the next, especially when the size/distance was changing considerably and switched to the Mueller Multi-Shot 2-7x (illuminated) when it first came out and found my scores (and prizes) started increasing considerably... Reticle:

Mueller2-7Reticle-1.jpg

While there are more expensive scopes on the market, the action competitions generally can be pretty rough on equipment as, most of the time, when a stage is finished, the unloaded weapon has to be dumped in a 'safety' barrel and usually only the bottom is padded..so any accessories have to be pretty substantial, or easily replaced...I can't justify the "heavier duty" optics and so far have never needed to replace what I have..

DPMSARwMueller-SmallSize.jpg

You have to remember that a competitor is running against the clock as well as needing to turn in accuracy scores, so everything is done in 'planned' haste..

I learned a long time ago to get the best glass you can afford. I have always had the high end Nikons, Burris and leupold. I tried a Zeiss Conquest a few years ago and have been going to them ever since. Clarity and low light situations the Zeiss surpasses even my Leupy VXIII. Four of my guns now wear Zeiss.

tt35,
I may have to disagree with one thing you said. Seems to me that set of Leica Binocs with the incorporated range finder would be awesome for almost any type of hunting or for hat matter any type of wildlife viewing.

I would love to have a set like that. Know of any good deals out there?

I have several Leupold VXII from a couple different vintages. They have been and will continue to be my faovrite "do almost anything I need a scope to do" scope.
VXII AO 4x12 40mm
A less expensive alternative, Burris FFII 3x9 40mm

A cheap rimfire/light recoiling rifle scope with great clarity is the Mueller line. 3.5x10 44mm and the APV.

DoubleCK - my brother in law has a set of those. They cost more than my first six automobiles combined. Nice piece of glass [beeep].

300 WM - Swarovzki 4-12X50 TDS
22-250 - Elite 4200 4-16X50 AO
25-06 - Elite 6500- 2.5-16X42 SF
223 - NXS 5.5-22X50 NPR2
10/22T - BSA sweet 22
5.56 - Eotech

Back