Need Help New to AR's!!

limb_chicken

I just bought a S&W M&P 15T for $1,100 and I would like to use it for a predator rifle. Checking into hunting type ARs, I came across a guy with a Remington R-15CS that he will trade straight across. I haven't shot either gun but I'm pretty sure the Remington will fit my needs for the predator rifle. Should I trade?!!

I assume I could also change barrels on the M&P to a longer target barrel if I wanted for better long range accuracy?

Thanks in advance for your comments!!

You dont need a longer target barrel. My RRA that I use for coyotes has a 16" barrel and I wouldnt hestitate to shoot 300 yds or more with it. Most coyotes killed will be less than 100 yds. If you want to trade, dont do it thinking you need the longer barrel.

Originally Posted By: reb8600You dont need a longer target barrel. My RRA that I use for coyotes has a 16" barrel and I wouldnt hestitate to shoot 300 yds or more with it. Most coyotes killed will be less than 100 yds. If you want to trade, dont do it thinking you need the longer barrel.
I have the armlite 16 in barrel and same as above would not hestitate a bit to take a 300 yrd shoot as well. The longer barrel is ok but they kind of get in the way on a stand sometimes. My opion is the 16 or 18 inch is a really good match for the ar. They swing good and it cuts down a little on the weight with the shorter barrels. I would shoot yours and see how it feels to you and how it shoots and go from there. You shoot it you might fall in love with it. I konw every time i got the RRA out of the truck or tryed to move it around inside to let someone in i was all ways bumpen the top part of the barrel on something with the 16 in i yet to have that problem.

I'd keep the S&W hands down. You got a good deal. I bet that guy would trade straight across. The S&W is worth more than the Rem and comes with Troy sights and railed handguard. Almost $500 worth of accessories.

You can always get another upper for hunting if you don't care for a railed handguard or prefer a different barrel length. Then you would have the best of both worlds.

Good hunting

Stick with the S&W. Target barrels only help when your shooting more than 4 or 5 bullets quickly because the bigger barrel takes longer to heat up. A small lightweight barrel will maintain great accuracy shooting just three shot groups. I shoot 3 or 4 3 shot groups right at an inch at 100 yards with a little OCR Bushmaster. I just let it cool in between. How often do you think extreme accuracy is needed on your 4th or 5th shot?

From what I have read me thinks you would not be wise to trade . KEEP the S&W....I am new to this AR thing also. I bought a CMMG AR 15 went out and ran a few rounds ( 60 to be exact ) through it and went and ordered a Timney 3 pound pull single stage trigger and had it sent second day air. Put it in the day I got it and took it to the range the next day it went from looking like a shotgun pattern to about a 3 " group with PMC crap ammo. With my hand loads I worked up it will shoot 1" groups even with a hot barrel OFF THE BENCH THAT IS
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
My stock trigger weighed in at a 7-1/4 pound pull this Timney breaks at exactly 3 pounds.
grin.gif
I wouldn't mind getting a 1-1/2 pound pull trigger as an after thought.

What weight pull does your S&W have?

DAB

DAB

Last edited:
I haven't measured the lbs of trigger pull but will have it done soon. My guess is 5 lbs plus. Thanks again for the input, I'll have to crawfish on the trade.

Refer to this chart when comparing manufacturers

Manufacturing comparison Chart

S&W makes a great gun. It should shoot minute of coyote just fine. Lighter shorter barrels make for a better experience when hiking all over the countryside all day. On the 8 or 9th stand you will be glad that you have a lighter gun.

And as far a triggers go Springfield is a great inexpensive guy to put the battle trigger into a range/hunting trigger for cheap ($35).

Last edited:
Quote:Refer to this chart when comparing manufacturers

Ah, the dreaded "chart".

There is a lot of misinformation and political slant built into that chart. It looks like it was based entirely on Colt's design criteria to me.

What's funny is, Armalite (who developed the rifle to begin with) apparently is deficient in many areas.

Be careful about forming a decision based on that chart, you may not end up being happy.

Sorry, but after reviewing "the Chart" and based on personal experience,
Quote:Refer to this chart when comparing manufacturers
Like Evil Lurker, I have to think it is weighted by someone's personal opinion, rather than fact in some cases...

I've had a DPMS 16" bull barreled AR with a few upgrades for several years and shot several competitions as well as a bunch of Prairie Dogs with it.. It's reliable, takes most ammo that I want to feed it, and has an accuracy factor out to 350 yards (a lot farther than I normally shoot)...

I've owned Colts, CMMGs, and still have a couple of customs...but I keep the DPMS...

Yes, things like "chrome lined bore", "F front site base" (which was actually the correction for a manufacturing error), "rifling twist" and "M16 bolt carrier" (a full-auto carrier in a semi-automatic rifle) are a few of the things you may not desire in a sporting rifle.
In fact, I'd personally avoid every one of them.

That said, the chart is useful in some respects if you evaluate what it's actually telling you.

It's a Colt/mil. spec. commercial in thin disguise, in my opinion. I'd put my D-Tech/Oly Arms rifle up against anything on that chart for predator hunting and come out in good shape, I believe.

There's a reason the Army adopted a dedicated DMR rifle so they could accurately engage targets at long range. It would not score well if put on that chart.

DMR rifle

Not chrome lined, not 1:7 twist, stainless barrel, no extended feed ramps, no pins in FSB, no hand-guard shields.

Every one of those changes was chosen to increase the accuracy.

I'm just sayin.
wink.gif

I'm shooting a ruger sr 556 16" 1 in 9 twist, with hornady tap fpd 55grn. 1/2in. groups at 100 yards. I see no reason for a longer barrel on a 223.

The 1/2 in. groups are 5 shot groups with hot barrel cause it is to much fun to shoot to stop and let it cool. LOL, I've had lots of deer rifles over the years with long barrels and use thompson center encores now but the little ar. will out shoot any of them at 100 yds.

Quote:...1/2in. groups at 100 yards.

You'll probably do okay with that.
grin.gif

Hey, I was interested in seeing a range report on the Ruger. Can you tell me what it says on the barrel (is it made by Ruger)?
The one concern I had was that it would shoot like a Mini-14 because they cut corners on barrel quality.
How is the trigger?

I'll pull it out of the safe after my wife gets up and see what it says on the barrel, I am pretty sure it says ruger.. I don't have a triger scale but going by some of my other guns that i've replaced triggers in i'd say its around 4.5 lbs. crisp but firm. Best factory trigger I've felt on an ar. everything is tight thats what sold me on it. It was one of those I got my hands on in the store and could not leave it. I will probably still replace the trigger though. I am setting it up for coyotes and have a Burris black diamond 4-16 on it and a bypod. Any suggestions on a good tac light for it?

Quote:I'll pull it out of the safe after my wife gets up and see what it says on the barrel, I am pretty

No hurry brother. After you've shot it a bit more do a write-up and post it on here. I bet a bunch of people are interested in it.
A 4 1/2 lb. trigger is about half of what I got on mine, stock. That's acceptable for a hunting rifle as-is.
Sounds like Ruger did it right if yours is typical.

Naw, I don't know squat about tac lights. Sorry.

Back