Accble Case Weight Variation

Happy_Hunter

Hi Guys,
First of all I have to confess my sin. I mixed up batches of Nosler Brass. If variables ever screw up your accuracy that one will.

I now have a bunch at 168 grains and a bunch at 166 grains. Seems simple, but is that too much variance for a 22-250.

I know the theory behind same case weight requirement, but in reasonable terms what is reasonable variance as a % of case weight. Is this 1% variance too great (ie. = larger than 1MOA on the target).

I suspect that the higher the pressure in the round the less the % of variances is acceptable.

I'm glad I can post to a reloading part of this forum. Thanks to the guys for setting this up.

First off, is this a target or hunting rig? The only brass I've ever weighed is for my bench guns. If you're hunting with it the difference will be so minimal you'll probably never notice it

I would say just give it a try then. with a 2 grain difference you should be able to weigh loaded rounds and figure most of it out. you'll have some variation due to bullet weight but you should still be able to tell

Happy_Hunter, sounds like you are darn serious about trying to sort brass for supurb accuracy.

To that end, Sinclair sells a tool that will really give you an edge, that measures the wall thickness right in front of the web of the case.

The web measuring has proved effective in shrinking groups, while the sorting by weight just keeps you busy.

While you are on the phone with Sinclair, order two wind flags, they will improve your shooting so much, you will not believe that you ever went to a rifle range without one.
Put one wind flat out at 15-25 yards slightly off to the left of your line of sight, and the other wind flag out at 75 yards directly in the line of sight. Shoot with both eyes open, the closest wind flag will be superimposed in your scope, while you will be able to watch the one at 75 yards...your groups will shrink tremendously!

Hope this helps!

Originally Posted By: Happy_HunterHi Guys,
First of all I have to confess my sin. I mixed up batches of Nosler Brass. If variables ever screw up your accuracy that one will.

I now have a bunch at 168 grains and a bunch at 166 grains. Seems simple, but is that too much variance for a 22-250.

I know the theory behind same case weight requirement, but in reasonable terms what is reasonable variance as a % of case weight. Is this 1% variance too great (ie. = larger than 1MOA on the target).

I suspect that the higher the pressure in the round the less the % of variances is acceptable.

I'm glad I can post to a reloading part of this forum. Thanks to the guys for setting this up.

I use a 1.5% figure for case weight variation. When sorting cases, I have them separated by exact weights, then combine groups based on having a weight spread of no more than 1.5%.

0.5% is very good!!
Yesterday I weight sorted 100 Win 222 Rem cases. Those were probably the most consistent cases I've sorted other than Lapua's.

I love to sort brass for my varmint rifles. It just feels good whether it does me any good or not!

Ackleyman: I haven't seen the web measuring tool in Sinclair's catalog. Supposed to make a significant differece, eh? Uh oh, I can see additional work coming from my compulsiveness.... What are you seeing personally with the tool?

Back