mildly successful hunter needs advice

Davy

I have been calling for about 2 years and read everything i can about predator hunting. I recently have been hunting near snow covered grain fields bordered by lava rocks and sagebrush in SE Idaho. I think I'm getting to my stands unnoticed, I'm using scent killer and/or cover scents, I have been using distressed rabbit calls,(hand), and today a female invitation howl. The problem is I am not getting the response's that it seems like you guys are. I know there are yotes in the area from scat and sign but i think they are being hunted hard. Any tips to help me improve hunting skills or technique greatly appreciated

Sounds like a tough deal.
Try howling starting in January that may be your best bet. Either get a coyote looking for a mate or challenge howls to bring in a dominant male.
Don't be afraid to mix up a bunch of sounds at the stand. In very heavily called areas you have nothing to lose by experimenting. If you can get their curiosity up they may show themselves for a shot.
There is a lot of desert near you with lots of good calling country where the coyotes are not so educated. Good luck!

Back