stevens rifle in .223

Just bought one myself. Read about how to adjust the trigger and got it down pretty good and crisp. Shoots good and I really have no complaints for the price. The stock is a little cheap but again look at the price. I think it could be considered the best value going now days.

I bought one for a buddy of mines wife to give to him for his bday last year. He just put in a new trigger and a good scope and its great. Accurate, light, and a shooter. In that same price range is the howa...

I have a stevens 200 in .22-250. I got this rifle for a truck gun but it is now my go to calling rifle. Its light, shoots more than good enough for coyotes, and has been very reliable. The trigger is easy to adjust yourself. I got mine down around 2 1/2 to 3 lbs. I get 1" groups off of shooting sticks with factory ammo. I would recomend these rifles to anyone. I dont see a .223 being any different. Whatever you choose good luck !!! By the way you could get a Savage model 11F 111F for not much more and get the accutrigger.

jdp3

You just comitted a big no no. You can't buy a gun for someone else to give to someone else. Even in Texas.

I believe the ATF would use even stronger language.

Dave

Yep very true, same thing here in ohio. Be careful who your telling that to.

Anyway, the stevens is a great gun. My brother has one in 223 and its a great hunting gun. Light, and cheap, o ya it shoots great to for $300. He put a nikon buckmasters 4.5-14x40 on it.

For about the same money, look at the Marlin XL7-long action, and the XS7-short action. I don't know what calibers are available yet, but I have a XL7 in 25/06, and I love it. I think the bluing and the stock are nicer than the Savage. They are a heck of a buy.

kevlars

A couple months ago I picked up a stevens 200 in .308 for a steal. It was on consignment at a local shop because the owner said "it just wont shoot". Well I imediatly plopped down the 250$ for a pristine rifle with about 40 rounds through it with a semi cheap Bushnell 3x9 and Leopold rings. After some load development I came to find out the gun wont shoot 150g and heavier bullets very well and went through an entire box of sierra 168 matchkings and never got groups below moa. Not that moa groups are bad by any means but I was hoping for a little more. After all the load testing with the heavier bullets I decided to try out some 125g noslers. For some reason the gun really shoots well with the light bullets, consistently shooting groups around .6-.75 and I'm not even done testing loads with this bullet yet. I'm very pleased with the groups from the 125's I just wish I could get it to shoot the 168's....

I like my Stevens 200 in .223. I have killed several coyotes, a couple of bobcats, and a doe with it.

Today I got it out of the safe to try out a new load of Varget and 55g vmax that I was wanting to use in my AR too. I just shot one 5 shot group at 105yds right out of the safe(the distance my home range turned out to be) and it measured .763 centered 1 3/4" high. About perfect.

Mine is painted and camoed with ghillie tape. I did replace the stock 'w' follower spring because it didn't seem stiff enough. I cut an AR spring down some and fitted it to the follower and it works super-and a lot better. They are about the best rifle buy for the money out there imo. TnTnTn

I have one in 223 and love it. As suggested above go to Savageshooters site and learn all you can. On mine I kissed the crown, adjusted the trigger. The cheap stock is perfect for hunting, who cares is you scratch or ding it. I have swapped barrels on it and returned it to the original cal. They are great for what they are. By the way I like sleepers. It's not a good looking bragging rifle, It is a dang good shooting bragging rifle. Thomas

Just to clear up Dave, I didn't actually "BUY" the gun, i set it all up and his wife came in with me, filled out the paperwork and laid down the money. Im a little slow... but not that slow.

Originally Posted By: Mousedipperjdp3

You just comitted a big no no. You can't buy a gun for someone else to give to someone else. Even in Texas.

I believe the ATF would use even stronger language.

Dave

Not to try to stick my nose in but you can't buy a gun for someone who is prohibited from buying one on their own i.e. convicted felon, convicted of domestic assault, involuntarily committed to psych hospital, drug addict, dishonorable military discharge, etc. Doing that is where the term "straw purchase" came from and has been media-ized. You can purchase one for someone else as a gift if they are not disqualified. Just fyi. Again, wasn't trying to be rude.

Back