Budro 8 months a lot of 1st this week...

Rickh

BudroTrashCan.jpg

1st coon encounter
1st time riding in cab with all the family and other dog
1st time camping in the camper
1st time swimming
1st time on Coyote calling stand
1st Mouse kill x 2
Was a busy week for us!

The Coyote stand was a last minute evening/dusk thing with no results. The camping group was just too loud and the day had been spent running ATV's all over the place. Budro did fine with the Ecaller, but was a little un easy when using hand calls. So will have to get him warmed up to the hand calls.

As for the 1st coon encounter,
This was at a State Park. We knew there was a small one in the trash can. Once he got a wif of it, it was game on!

He pulled the can over on his own, it was all I could do to hold him, he is a very strong puller.

in the video he gotahold of the coon right when the video operator, my son, hit the wrong button and shut the recording off!

Budro had it in his mouth giving it a good shake, I could not pull him back and I am 210#. He let it go and then I got my footing, waited till it was up a tree before I let him go again.

Mouser
We were on the deck when I noted Budro sniffing a plastic toy box the kids have there stuff in. I opended the box and there was a mouse nest in there, before I knew it he was in the box and had a mouse in his mouth. He drug it out into the yard and just kid of watched it. I finished that one and took him back to the box, in he went and got another. There was still a 3rd but that one I gave to the the Schuaser to handle, thats what they are bread for and unlike Budro, he killed it on contact. No pictures of that encounter.

All in all a good week away from home with the pup and family.

Rick H...

BudroTrashCan2.jpg

BudroTrashCan3.jpg

Oh and the 1st time in water, he did fine a little sloppy but he was simming and looked to be enjoying it!

BudroSwimming.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures and story. Good looking dog. Only 8 months he is going to be 'BIG' before he's done.

Thanks!
Yep Trapper2's [beeep] put out some good looking pups!
He is just under 50# but I have noticed his appetite has curbed some.
I suspect with the life style he is leading he will top out no more than 60# maybe less in the winter as that's when I will work him.
Rick H...

He looks like he's quite a bit longer and lankier than Gunner. I think Gunner has hit his max on height and now starting to fill out. Noticed his head getting broader in the last month or so.

Thanks for sharing Rick.

Tony

Yea Tony I noticed Budros head was getting wider squared off.

He is a handfull, when he wants to go you better be hanging on. Were working on that and he's getting better.

We walked a trail last evening and I kept an I eye out for others, the 2 times we ran into other people he was not very friendly but I kept my distance. The 2nd encounter was better than the first cause after the first I let him have it when he was barking at the people.
I know the more I take him out the better it will get.

I have him trained now to pull the leash on demand. Sure helps when going up hill!
One of these days I want to put a vertical scale in his lead and see what kind of weight rating he can pull.

I sat with him last evening and worked the hand calls so he gets used to them, his first time in the field last week on a stand he did not know what to do when I blew the calls, the e caller did not seem to bother him one bit.

He is keen when I give him the command to look around, I use "Go See" and his ears are up and eyes are wide open and you can see him scanning.
Still need to work on looking up in a tree.

Seems most of the barking issues I had this past spring are gone. Now if he is barking he either wants soemthing (mostly at dark to go to bed!) or sees something, another dog or widllife.

Great dog, just more time is needed with him than I have right now, just need to get by until this fall, then I will work his butt off.

Rick H...

Well Budro and I are heading out this afternoon for an evening Coyote stand.
Just him and I so no other people/dogs to distract him.
Well see how he does.

I had him on a Raccoon Wednesday and he did great.

Did not kill it but he would not let it get away either. If it looked like it was headed for the fence or tree he would grab it.

At one point he ran across the yard with the raccoon planted on his face. He never whimpered or backed down when the coon had a hold of him.

After awhile he figured out why the coon would lay on its back!

Both he and coon gave out after a while, it was pretty hot. I still had to hold him back while we let the coon escape under the fence.

I do have video but still trying to figure out how to get it off the stupid DVD camera! (it wont play on the computer)

So well see how he does on his second calling stand this evening.

Rick H...

Good luck this afternoon. Keep us posted.

I haven't taken Gunner on a stand in a while. I had a client in and I didn't feel comfortable with bringing Gunner just yet. Gunner and I are going calling in the morning to see what we can get him into.

Tony

Thanks Tony,
Has Gunner got it on with a raccoon yet? Just wondering what his response would be/is.
I did talk to trapper2, momma don't normally mix it up with coon, but papa did (R.I.P). Each dog is his own personality I guess.

This is Budro's second coon encounter so I guess the few bites and scratches he got from the first one did not bother him.

I swear these dogs have ESP. I am loading the truck for tonight and he is in the back giving me that I want something bark!

Later,
Rick H...

Good luck!!

I hope to get out Sunday morning with Kobe. My wife just brought home an 8 week old border collie, so Kobe needs some time away from the little fuz ball.

Brian

Back