Should I shhot it?

andrew

I am just getting interested in predator hunting and have found a place that is wide open, rolling hills with a few little draws, watering holes and thickets that is smack-dab in the middle of an ever growing, newly developed city. There is plenty of space for 4x4's and shooting which is what's its mostly used for. Anyway, there are jackrabbit and turkeys out there and while walking the edge of a draw, I jumped a fat coyote which took off. I am wondering if this coyote was the only one out there or could there be plenty to hunt? Should I leave him to for stock or would it be ok to get him for his pelt?

Shoot him.

God will make more.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

(sounds like a doritos comercial doesn't it?)

Ryan

------------------
NV88280.jpg

I wouldn't shoot him for his pelt right now. If you want fur, then wait till it's time.(Cooler weather)
If you're not worried about the fur, then shoot him if you like. If he's the only one there now, another will likely move in and take his place or somewhere thereabouts. I would think there would be more than one, though. Happy hunting!

------------------
Bye y'all
yotewalk.gif

B. Pierce

Welcome to Predator Masters, Andrew.
I'm with songdogger, if your after fur, let him go maybe watch him for while and learn a little habitat from him.
If not...take him. He's right another will fill his place soon after. Just like bass fishing, as soon as you pull a lunker off that old sunken tree stump, another moves in.

~River Runner~

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

Well I was out hunting jackrabbits on that same area where I jumped the coyote before and as I was walking the edge of a brushy draw, I spotted somthing about 250 yards off. I thought it may have beed a fawn deer because the head looked like a three blade prop but realized it was a coyote. My freind was carrying his new .223Rem and took a shot but missed. The yote swapped ends and took off tlike a shot. Is it possible I could have spooked him for good or can he still be called. I didnt use a call on this outing if taht makes a difference.

I think he could still be called. You were not calling when he was shot at so unless he is already educated by someone else, he should not be call shy from your encounter.

Later, Curt

Andrew you have the key ingredients for sucess, one a spot were you know coyotes are, the desire to hunt them, and this great board with all of these members to help your learning curve.

Anytime you see coyotes, and if you see them frequent that usually means there is a good population. For everyone you see there will be several more in the area. Sounds like the area your describing is excellent habitat for them. I hunt alot of farm land here, there is feed for there prey along with plenty of water these places are magnets for predators.

If you want to keep the pelt wait tell your first freeze or so. By then they should have a good thick coat.

I have shot at coyotes in the past while passing through and they run off. I would then drive down the road about a 1/2 mile in the direction they went off too, and try calling them in. Lots of times they would come right in as well. This also works well when you spot animals and cant get shots. Just get down the road out of sight and start calling.

This time of year howling, and a coyote pu in distrees would probably be your best bet. The pups will be out on there own about late August - september.

Good luck on your next outings, I have a feeling your going to connect real quick.

Chad

Good news guys. I was out at that area I saw the loan coyote and today say 4 coyote pups, but no mama. They are the cutest little things and I cant wait for them to grow up and get nice thick pets. About how long before they will be good for the taking? Also, I saw another coyote around the same area a couple of weeks ago so things are definantly loking up!

Back