What do you think,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

tjones

,,,,,,,,,,,I should do with this?

P8120077.jpg

P8120078.jpg

P8120080.jpg

sorry about the lousy pics, I was excited!

I agree with rainshadow1 except that you should then send a closed reed jack=in-distress to my address. Just P.M. me and I'll send it to you, heck I'll even pay the shipping, then I'll write a post extolling your virtues as a master call maker.

I would make a matching set of calls from it, starting with a 6 or 7 inch Howler, a closed reed Cotton Tail, a closed reed Fawn Bleet, closed reed Jack, small open reed Rabid Rabitt, small open reed with Carver Chirp Board, and top it off with a nice small Female Howler that will do a nice distress also.

It would be one awsome set of calls. Just my 2 cents worth, reference to what I would do with a beautiful Piece of Wood, if there is enough for all the calls listed. If not then I would reduce the number of calls by droping one or two of the closed reeds, or the small Howler, and tune what is left as directed by the buyer.

Larry
AKA - THE OLD MAN

Originally Posted By: TonyTebbeCut it on the endgrain. I buy zebrawood in bowl blanks like that, just for that purpose.

Very nice.

Tony

That'll work just like a quartersaw, actually... with the way the contrasting grain swoops up like that. And very little waste. Good call Tony.

Let me know how it turns on your lath. I picked up a couple of chunks last year from my local wood supplier. Haven't done anything with it yet, just thought it looked cool.

Thanks for the input guys and Brian you are killin me,,I would love to send it to you but I just can't part with it!
smile.gif

My original thought was and what I had set out to do was find a piece with great figure and thick enough to get blanks to turn end grain, well I saw this piece and it was what I had been thinking of, so tonight it made numerous passes through the band saw, scraped off some wax, added wax to the ends and now waiting as it was a touch damp,,,tic tock!

ducksoup, I have turned a lot of this wood, it turns nice and likes my finish, it can be tricky though as you will find hidden cracks and splits, I have pitched some great pieces that had a spilt in them,,absoutly kills me to have to do it!

Dude, I'm going to have to start shopping with you. That is a sweet block of calls right there. Can't wait to see some end grain out of that. I know someone else that will too
grin.gif

a touch wet
uh huh
i have bought similar bowl blanks
and they are usually soaking wet
great wood chunk though to slice anyway you want and then let em dry

nice stock whichever way you slice it
i'll look forward to seein the results

guero

Well this one was not "soaking wet" but not ready to turn thats for sure, it has been cut into 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" blanks and drying as we speak, I will be checking every now and then with my moisture meter and when it is ready it will hit the lathe.

Back