Dove guns, chokes, & loads?

GC

A few questions about your dove gathering gear...

1) What is your favorite gauge?

2) What particular gun do you find in your hands most often?

3) What choke do you find the most useful for your dove hunting?

4) What size shot and load do you most often shoot?

12 or 20 gauge

Both Remington 870's

Modified choke

Low base(target loads) in 7-1/2 shot

Works best for me! Lead the little mourning doves anywhere from 4 to about 10 feet; the Eurasian's? normally put the bead about 2 foot in front of their beak(cross passing shot)

28ga red label mod and imp. 7 1/2 or 8s 410 s/s for late in season with 8s can't wait to see the group at the motel in blythe!! be safe and then have a good time!!!

1)20 gauge

2)Remington 870 most of the time but I've used a Ruger Red Label O/U 20ga a few times too.

3)Modified

4)I use 7 1/2 shot.

1. 12 GA
2 remington 1100
3 modified
4 reg field loads 7 1/2 some times 8 shot
5 lots of shells they get going with the wind and its like shooting at a fighter jet

Remington 1187 20ga premier or the Beretta O/u in 12ga.

20ga. Mod or IC
12 Skeet and IC most of the time

as for shot size, I like #9 or #8 when I can find it and will use 7.5 if I have to.

when using the Mojo Dove, most shots are within 20 yards
grin.gif

It has been awhile since I have shot doves but I love to use a citori 20ga o/u with skeet and imp. Most of the shoots are comming into water and it dusts those doves but the longer rang shots will wing them. You go through alot of shells with the semi.

1) 12 ga

2) Rem 870 (sold my 1100, kicking myself
cry.gif
)

3) IC (+1 on MOJO dove, that thing works!!) or Mod

4) Federal 7 1/2 or 8 Target and Game loads

I look forward to early fall dove hunting every year!!!!

Citori 20ga 28"barrels IC/MOD

Citori Gran Lightning 20ga 26" barrels Skt/LM

Citori Gran Lightning 28ga 28" barrels Skt/LM

Benelli M2 24" barrel LM

20ga Gran Lightning
OpeningDove07GL20.jpg

it doesnt really matter what gun you use, they all send lead out the barrel, but i prefer a 12. g.

i like the federal 1 1/8th oz. 7 1/2 shot. I hate the winchester super speed, it doesnt kill them.

i usually hunt with a buddy and i would use a imp. or mod and he would use a full. we would kill doves from 5 to 60 yards! and lots of them!

i love the mojo dove, they try to land on it!

rem 12ga 870 mod choke. I load a #8, then a 7 1/2, and then a #6. usually shoot all 3 with nothing but holes in the ozone to show for it but it is a blast.

Originally Posted By: Jeff ErwinRemington 1187 20ga premier or the Beretta O/u in 12ga.

20ga. Mod or IC
12 Skeet and IC most of the time

as for shot size, I like #9 or #8 when I can find it and will use 7.5 if I have to.

when using the Mojo Dove, most shots are within 20 yards
grin.gif

I will have to try the decoy have seen them in the stores but never tryed one thanks for the tip.

I use a 20 gauge imp.cylinder with #8 or #9 shot, I like
the winchester AA or Remington sts or nitro 27 shells.

I also like using dove decoys and a call, it brings them in
for some good close shooting.

Remmington 11-87 or Ruger red label O/U both in 12 gauge.

I like 7 1/2 game loads

If im shooting the Ruger I put a mod in one and imp in the other. In the Remmy I use a mod. We always sit at a pond and most shots are 30+ yards. Everyonce in awhile we get a sucidal one that comes in overhead. Im counting down the days.

Benelli M212 GA and Browning BSS 20 GA

Light Mod in M2

IC and Mod in the BSS

7.5 or 8 shot 1 ounce in the 20 Ga 1 1/8 in the 12 Ga STS , Remingtion Gun Club, Fiocchi,AA's

Someone asked me to respond to my own question and it was then I realized I hadn't done so! Old age...

1) I like the 20 gauge best...

2) Weatherby 20 gauge O/U... though this year if I can get some shooting I may try my new 12 gauge Beretta 686 O/U. I've been shooting a lot of skeet and sporting clays with the Beretta O/U and it breaks clays like nobodies business.

3) Light Modified or the old Skeet II constriction of about .015" per bore.

4) I've always favored 7 1/2's for shot size on doves.

Now if I can only find a good place locally with some doves. My Ozark timber just isn't the best of dove spots.

Back