Deer Tenderloin W/Mushroom Gravy mmmmmmmmm............

Eat_the_rich

This recipe will also work with deer steak, just substitute equal pounds of meat.

1) 1/2 to 1 full venison backstrap (one side, not two)
2) 1pkg. onion soup mix (lipton's)
3) 1 large can of cream of mushroom soup
4) you can also add additional mushrooms if you like, just add them about 1 hr. before the dish is done so they don't disinigrate.

If you're feeding more than 4 or 5 you can just double up on the recipe and use a larger casserole dish.

Cut whole tenderloin into 3 to 4 in. long chunks. Place in medium sized casserole dish. Mix onion soup mix with 2cups of water, pour over meat. Do Not add additional salt! The onion soup mix will make the dish plenty salty. Pepper if you like. Then, add just enough water to the dish to keep meat from scorching, about 3/4 of the way up the side of the tenderloin, you can alway add a little water as you go. Basically, you are just cooking this like a roast. Set oven to 375 deg. Cover and bake until meat comes apart with a fork. Usually about 3hrs. keep checking every hour or so and make sure that the tenderloin has enough water so it doesn't burn or dry out, but don't add too much or your gravy will be soupy. When the tenderloin is done and tender to your liking (I like it falling apart done), add the can of cream of mushroom soup. Stir and mix well with the juice around the tenderloin. (If you messed up and added too much water, don't worry just dip some off or add another can of cream of mushroom soup.) Place back into oven for about 20min. Remove and let sit until cool enough to serve. I usually serve mine over white rice or mashed potatoes.

This recipe is a no brainer, but OH SOOOOO GOOD! The smell of it in the oven will drive you crazy! Make some of this in Deer Camp for your buddies, they will think you went to Culinary school, and there won't be any left overs or complaints!

Back