Menudo

ozzy

This is my recipe for menudo. I start with 4 pounds of tripe cut, I get it this way already cut and cleaned. I put this is my dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer 15 minutes, drain and rinse, this will remove alot of the fat. Return to dutch oven, cover with water and one tablespoon of kosher salt.Bring back to a boil and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours. Meanwhile in a sauce pan I cut up one habanero, three anaheim chilis, one white onion and about five cloves of garlic. Sweat this mixture then add the 7oz can of herdez salsa ranchera and a 29oz can of hominy rinsed. I also add menudo mix which you can find in the hispanic section. Its oregano, chili pepper flakes and some other spices. Add to taste. Set this off to the side and add after the tripe is cooked. Reseason and enjoy with tortillas and some lime wedges and fresh cilantro. "Side note" this mixture will have habanero, anaheim and red pepper flakes and from the salsa...jalapeno, ancho, and cascabel peppers. I also like to add a little dry cayenne. I think the different peppers really give it a good taste.Personally I like it quite hot, you can adjust the ingredients to taste. Olay

4-pounds-tripe.jpg

base-ingredients.jpg

finished-menudo.jpg

Dang. I had to chew a whole bottle of Zantac just reading the recipe! Sure looks good though.
May I ask a dumb question? What is tripe?

Originally Posted By: redeyeddawgTripe is anything that comes off The One's teleprompter. Ouch, that hurts.

Back