25-06 AI - what do you think

MNDog

So i have been kicking around having some work done to my 25-06. I was wondering about haveing it AI. Anyone have one? how does it compare? Can I get dies for it?

Thoughts

I've been playing around with one for a couple years. Some will argue its not a huge benefit over the standard 25-06 Rem. I went that route because I use mine for varminting and I wanted to squeeze the utmost velocity from it. I honestly haven't done too much chronographing over this chambering. But I know I can get the 100 grain bullets around 3600 FPS using RL-19 (still haven't found max load yet). I have heard of people doing that with the standard too though.

The barrel didn't end up working with the bullet I originally wanted to shoot, the 75 V-Max. But it shoots the discontinued Berger 95 grainers absolutely awesome, I think Verminator2 can attest to that. For big game I'm shooting 100 grain bullets, sierra pro-hunters and Nosler partitions for bigger big game.

Winchester brass holds up to the higher velocity loads better than Norma, but accuracy is better with Norma.

I picked up dies from Grafs reloading supply in Mexico Missouri. Redding NK/Body/Seater competition set.

My gunsmith, whom I shoot with sometimes, shoots a 25-06 with a 30° shoulder. He named it the 25-06 Kampfeld, after his business Kampfeld Custom. I guess he thinks it is the best of both worlds. More velocity than 25-06, more accuracy than the AI.

Here is a pic of it.........

100_0352.jpg

I wonder why Feldkamp feels that a 30 Degree shoulder is more accurate than a 40? Some people say the 6 Dasher (40 degree) is more accurate than the 6BR (30 Degree). The dasher seems to win more at 600.

I like the 6.5-06imp a little better.The bore life is better.If you are going to shoot longrange the bc is better on the 6.5 bullets and there are more bullet choices.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunHere we go..........

http://www.kampfeldcustom.com/index_042.htm

That explains two questions I had.
wink.gif

Wondered why Feldkamp named his business Kampfeld.

Well he modeled his version to mimic the shoulders of the ppc. Which also happens to win alot in the accuracy arena.

Maybe FeldKamp and I should compete against each other and see which one wins?
grin.gif

I don't know if bore life is even a consideration. I have put so many rounds down mine I lost count. I'm guessing 2-3000 though. I put a 3 groove on this gun, it still is shooting fine.

I think that if you keep pressures moderate and don't over heat your barrel you really have no worries. I think the 6.5 version of the 06' would have increased pressures due to the longer bearing surface of the 140 class bullets used for long range. Though there are alot of match bullets for the 6.5, the .257 caliber has tons of big game bullets available and a handful of good varmint bullets as well. If your primary interest is long range shooting I would seriously look into the 6.5 caliber or 7mm. I have shot my 25-06 w/100SMKs out to 1000 yards quite a few times, its wind drift is similar to a .308 and 175 grain bullets. Calm days its as accurate as can be expected from a hunting rifle.

2mg why oh why do you tease us so with Kampfeld's work
I love his stuff I really like the so called truck gun
in 204
sorry for the hijack
frown.gif

Karl has built some pretty impressive rifles as of late. Check out the one I posted in the "I want a custom rifle thread". Hopefully I can take his money in the egg shoot this weekend......

Tanner, we should have gone over and got that other one. He was out here this spring and knocked one off at about 630 yards with the same gun.

Cool thanks, I can't wait to get the scope back on it.

Ben did you ever hit one with the 25-06AI?

100_0491.jpg

100_0513.jpg

Ben shot the baby rockchucks, heartless killer.
cool.gif
wink.gif

100_0536.jpg

A 25-06 AI has a whole lot going for it.
My Step Dad had one built right after he came home from WW II.
I recently bought a 25-06 AI reamer so I can have one built.
I have a standard Weatherby Vanguard in 25-05 now, and my not want to improve it, but have a new rifle built in AI.

Let me throw in this story.

Last year a friend called and wanted me to work up a load for his brand hammer new 25/06, McMillen stock, Rem long Non blue printed Action, 26" Shilen 1-12 twist barrel, #5 contour, 6-24 German scope.

I called the gunsmith and asked him if he had made a mistake in putting a 12 twist on the gun, he just laughed softly, and said, "I want you to load this exact load, 63g R#25, Win Case, Fed 215, 100g Sierra Flat base, and second load-58g of R#25, Sierra 117g Flat base".

I thought to myself, "this guy is smok'en crack".

Off to the range I go.

Loaded the 63g of R25 with the 100g Sierra flat base. After a three shot sight in, I shot the group with the 63g load, and all three bullets touched. Ohler 35P said that it was 3603-3615 fps, and bullets were touching at 100 yds.
There was no pressure with this load at all.

Next, the 58g of R25 with the 117g Sierra flat base chronographed at 3350 fps, three shot group was in the fours, chomping on the heels of a max load.

I could tell that the chamber was minimum spec with a very short leade.

I don't know if you could beat these velocities with an AI or not.

Back