Leupold Side Focus Question

MOFarmBoy

I have a long range leupold scope I'm looking at buying with a side focus on it. I'm unfamiliar with these scopes. I'll mostly be shooting coyotes and bobcats with this gun within 300 yards, but wouldn't be opposed to shooting much farther if the opportunity presents itself. It'll be on a .204 that I'd like to take prairie dog shooting someday.

Is that side focus more of a hinderance than it's worth? Who has them and do you like adjusting it for those longer shots?

Generally speaking, scopes with a fixed parallax correction are more efficient for hunting. Less to mess with, just hold & shoot...
If your shooting conditions allow time for 'tuning',like on a p-dog field, then a side focus is a nice option to have. And accurate shot placement at longer distance requires a shooter to dial out parallax...

What's the disadvantage of having a side focus scope, and just leaving it set for 150 yards like a factory non-adjustable scope? Any disadvantage at all?

I have a 4.5-14x40 VXIII that I bumped into for an absolute steal. I tend to use my AR for woodchucks also in the summer, and can get some 400+ yard shots at times. The side focus is great for this, but I also use this gun for yotes as well in the winter, and most shots will be 25 to 100 yards.

I have read where the side focus makes the scope stronger because it takes weight off the end of the scope. I do not know if that is true. However it is what I have read from scope mfrs. And I am sure it makes the end of the scope lighter.

Personally it is harder for me to use the side focus than the AO. I am not sure why. Maybe it is just because I am use to the AO. I really do not know. I would have thought the side focus would have been easier because I shoot left handed. May be I just need to get use to it?? Tom.

I have VX-III's with parrallax adjustment and VX-III's without...I like them both. Like knockemdown said, for situations where you may have to take quick shots the fixed parrallax is nice, but i wouldn't say the asjustable parrallax would be a hinderance either...

I am changing all my AO scopes to side focus. I really like being behind the rifle keeping my position and fine tuning on the side rather than fooling with the AO out front. You can just leave it on 100 for quick shots.

I have all three,SF,AO, and fixed. I'm no help, I like all three cause they all have their special uses. The fixed is on my AR, have AO's on three others that I hunt and plink with and a SF on the tactical I'm working on.

Betty darlin, it's the parallax adjustment mounted to the scope body opposite the windage turret instead of being on the objective. You still have to focus the scope to your eye using the eye piece. I'll set the parallax at 100 yards when sighting in and or developing loads. Then I'll set parallax at 200 yards for hunting. Grizz

I have the VX.3. 8.5-25-50 30mm varment rec. side parallax I shoot left hand works for me. have both VX.2. 6-18-40 AO I like the side focus better also have a 3.5-10-50 VX3. with no parallax if not shooting looong shots or targets at long range I would go with the 3.5-10-50 VX.3. they are fine scopes I allways bought cheap until I got a VX.3 I thank you get what you pay for the bushnell 4200 are vary nice to. have 1 on a AR its a 6-24 very clear IMO.

Originally Posted By: GRIZZLYONEBetty darlin, it's the parallax adjustment mounted to the scope body opposite the windage turret instead of being on the objective. You still have to focus the scope to your eye using the eye piece. I'll set the parallax at 100 yards when sighting in and or developing loads. Then I'll set parallax at 200 yards for hunting. Grizz

hey buddy, who you callin darlin?
blush.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

grizzly, your explanation helps a bit. ive just never seen a side focus. thanks

Back