How many groundhogs for 2009 ?

That's a great way to spend an afternoon, Flyrod. Nice going.

I too noticed what Corey mentioned earlier, that we didn't see as many pups as I had expected. Most of the groundhogs we got on were rather large, mature ones.

Corey, just curious. Have you been back to your groundhog fields since we last hunted?

David,
We have certainly killed a good share of pups this year. I think the greater percentage of adults to yoy on Saturday was due to us killing so many dumb young ones in that field already this year. The large hog on the far right in the truck was a very pregnant female. I think litter survival has to do with not only good forage, but lack of predators. This field has both.
F1

I haven't so much as fondled a rifle since we went out
eek.gif
. I think everything I own has tried to break down in the last 3 weeks including me. Since we went the dog had to go to the vet, the clothes drier died, the Jeep went to a body shop, the truck is leaking oil, the lawnmower axle broke in half and deck rusted through, the shower quit working, the toilet started leaking, and I got a bad sinus infection. I'm still waiting for something bad to happen to me, LOL. Looks like the scope I was drooling over will have to wait a little while.

I would like to get back out and get the last 2 I missed and check out that mowed wheat field they cut while we were hunting. I will probably call it quits here soon and start shooting the bow and muzzleloader and hanging stands getting ready for the fall passion
wink.gif

I think that you should take a minute a go fondle your rifle, hopefully you are still in good shape. Sorry to hear of all the bad stuff, I hope that all is better soon.

Nothing some antibiotics, a credit card, and a socket set won't fix
laugh.gif
. I need to get out and walk the fields and try to keep some of this lard off of me and get some air again. I might have to take a walk this weekend with the 243 and see if I can add a few more to the body count.

Man Corey, that old addage "when it rains it pours" sure has some merit to it. Sorry to hear about all the stuff happening. Hopefully the sun will shine a little brigther soon.

I'm with youngdon, go fondle that 243 a little bit. I'm sure it's missed you.

Thanks for all of the encouragement guys. I haven't been on here much lately trying to get all of these little things resolved. I have gotten a crash course in plumbing and lawnmower repair in the last week and both areas seem to be fixed. Antibiotics are starting to kick in and I am sleeping normal again. Dryer is replaced and dog is back to his sassy old self. The others are being worked on as I type, so other than being broke, all is good. Will have to eat bologna and Ramen noodles for a while to pay for my license and that scope now. These in-state license fees are ridiculous now a days. I just shelled out $153 for mine today. I will definitely have to hug the 243 this weekend and burn some powder.

Up to 26 this year bean/wheat/hay field's were busy this year just got this one this evening with the Stevens .223Rem barrel and Sierra 53gr. HP Matchking been trying to get it for the last 4 days lol...
4day_h10.jpg

Thanks 6mm06 that's an awesome looking area your hunting.
I kind of fell in love with the Stevens when I picked it up, then I found out about swapping barrels on them and that really sold me on it.

Here's one I was fortunate enough to get a few years back. The camo stock is factory, made specifically for Grice Wholesale. I found it new on Gunbroker, and is the only camo stocked one I have seen there. It's a .223 and shoots 60 gr. V-Max pretty good.

I too have considered a switch-barrel for this one. Sharp Shooter Supply has 6x45 barrels and that would be just about perfect for this rifle.

Stevens2.jpg

Stevens1.jpg

Stevens3.jpg

Last edited:
BRB and I went back to the honey hole this afternoon and scratched out two each. This brings me to #72, and BRB to #62. You can really tell we've put a hurting on that field, but there are still some left!
F1

6mm06 that's a sweet rifle and the stock I have never seen one factory camoed before.
Only problem with the swap barrels is there's too many different calibers to choose from.
crazy.gif

This is a great thread with some excellent shooters and scenery!

I have killed 43 Groundhogs this year so far. I have used my CZ 222 that i built in gunsmithing School mostly. I have also used my 17 HMR and 17 Squirrel. I have killed two with my George Harold Built 6mm-06. I am building me a 20 Vartarg this weekend on a REmington 700 action. we have a big groundhog contest in my town every year. I have won the last two years. Groundhog Hunting is my Favorite thing to do.

Wish I could throw in a number here.This post made me think it's 42 years since I last hunted Groundhogs. I loved it.I have to settle for Prairie Dogs and Coyotes now

Back