mossy oak duck blind, dura touch finish on sx3 failing

whunt_64

I just bought a winchester sx3 last week. Has mossy oak duck blind camo with dura touch finish. Just took it out for its first shoot and really love the thing... Untill I noticed that the color where I hold it was changing. I guess the best way to discribe it is yellowing. Hands had not touched any chemicals or oils before shooting. The only thing that they touched where shells and clays. I just tried to wash those spots with mild dish soap and water but it looks like it didn't help any. Has anyone every seen this happen before? 1200 bucks for a shotgun and the first time I use it the finish is screwed up, actually makes me kind of sick.

Last edited:
That is odd. I have a NWTF SX2 and the camo is very durable and other than the oopses it is holding up well.

You could try calling their customer service department and see if they can help, but I hope you have better luck than I did when I had a problem with a Win rifle.........

I'd be curious to see how this pans out.

I have heard of other troubles like this with the DuraTouch finish on the Winchester/Browning guns.

Well I called customer service today during lunch and I heard what I figured I would. Send it to us and we will see what it is. I explained to him that I had NO chemicals on my hands OR oils. He continued that this must be the problem sense that is what happens when the DuraTouch is exposed the them. So I explained that over the phone my word is only as good as his, and sense we are both being truthfull it must be something else. This is the best part... Some peoples oils in there skin contain chemicals that have changed the color of the finish and that I am one of the lucky ones. The only thing that can fix this of coarse is to where gloves will shooting. By what I explained he figured that it wouldn't be covered but they would try to work with me once they took a look at the gun. They where really nice on the fact that they said to shoot it through the season then ship it in. This would be the first gun that I have ever sent back and the fact that it is on my dollar after just spending 1200 doesn't sit well with me. But then again I can't blame them to much other wise they would be paying for shipping when ever anyone called it. Maybe I will learn to live with it but I don't see that happening. Anyone know how much a stock and forearm would cost, didn't bother to ask when I had him on the phone. I guess if I go that route I will learn to like gloves. Makes me wish that I would have researched DuraTouch a little bit and maybe would have gone with out it.

I was just looking it over again, it really looks green on the pistol grip. Began thinking about it and was wondering if you can get the camo with out the DuraTouch. I see the model always comes with it but not sure if you can order it without. May solve part of the problem.

Just checked, it doesn't look like you can get the camo without the DuraTouch. 140 for the but stock. 94 for the forearm. But the way I see it is they have to been installed by winchester. Don't really understand that thinking but that is what there web site says.

Last edited:
They don't have to be installed by Winchester. I've had the recoil pad off my son's new SX3 and changing the stock is about as straight forward as any other semi-auto shotgun I've ever fooled with. Of course the forearm is easy and you take it off all the time to clean, ect. Rather than wear gloves all the time you might wrap the grip areas of the wrist and forearm with some cloth camo tape or Vet Wrap that matches your camo pattern. That will keep your hands off the stock in the high use places and could be a temporary fix for you. I do think Winchester's answer to you is BS though because there are too many people that are having the same trouble.

GC I agree 100% about the replacement of the stocks. Have already had them both off for shim placement and assembly. However if you check there parts list/pricing they have these items listed as only being sold if you ship your entire firearm to them. This is the part that I don't understand.

Last edited:
Back