Burris fastfire vs. J-point vs. Dr. Optics

fireguyty

I want a Larue Tactical LT-137 mount for my AR. Its basically a mini red dot mount to hang on the side of my 4-16 Nikon. I want a back up for when they come up behind me. I have an EOtech on my carbine, but have never seen any of the above mentioned mini red dots in person. At a glance they look the same except the fastfire is the cheapest. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ty

Been using Fastfire for a couple years now with no problems.

Other more expensive ones have dimmer features which allow you to set the brightness of the red dot. I have one on my crazy horse and its cool but not worth the extra couple hundred.

These little sights are installed on most of my scoped assault rifles and both my scoped coyote rigs.

The scope is great for the long stuff and the little dot works perfect on the inside 100 yds little fast movers.

I have used the Fastfire for a year or so and like it better then several others I tried! Get the Fastfire II because it is waterproof.
normal_MarkIIIBurris.jpg

Good info, but what about the brightness between day and night? Is it way to bright for night time use? Another question is battery life. Thanks you guys, and by the way sweet Ruger. . . .I bet that is fun!

Last edited:
I have the fastfire on mine:

IMG_6169.jpg

You have asked about the brightness. My manual states "The brightness sensor on the front of the sight senses the light level in the direction of the target and modifies the intensity of the dot acordingly so that it is not overpowering in low light while remaining highly visible in bright daylight."

It does seem to work exactly as they say it should.

Though not waterproof, the manual does state "Although not completely waterproof, the FastFire is water-resistant and is usable even when exposed to moisture." Waterproof would be nicer. Battery replacement without having to resight in would be nice too, but the original battery has been working fine so far.

Never used mine at night but at dusk it dims down. The biggest problem that I have seen with other red dots is that they are not bright enough in bright sunlight. The Fastfire is the best that I have used in sunlight, easily visible.

Burris claims about 4 years for battery life, I still have the original in mine after over a year but I only use it a couple of days a month, so???

My FastFire was way too bright, under all conditions, so I did a little modification. I used a non-permanent black fine point marker to block some of light reaching the sensor in the front of the sight. You can use a Q-tip to clean of the sensor if you get too much on and try again. I had to try a few times to get just right, but it seems fine. If you get it covered too much, it won't be bright enough. That's the only complaint I have with the FastFire. It needs a user adjustable sensor to get the dot brightness right.

I have the same Larue LT-137 mount for my Larue SPR mount. I use it for close shots, 50 yards and under, and for the occasional running coyote or jackrabbit under 100 yards.

Back