Re-chambering a 700 action

tjwking

I am planning on redoing my Rem 700, new barrel, new stock, new trigger, everything except the action.I am wanting to have my Remington 700 chambered in .270 re-chambered in 7mm rem mag. now is going from a large caliber to a mag caliber going to be possible with the action the way it is? any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Craig

you can not do what you have in mind
the bore sizes are two different dimensions
you will have to re-barrel the action

Last edited:
The case deminsions are different so the feed lips will need to be reworked to properly feed the 7mm mag case. Learned this from catshooter: This is the hardest part that few gunsmiths know how to do properly.

The 7 Mag does not offer enough over the .270 to make it worth the expense, IMO. A 10 grain heavier bullet going 100 fps faster is not worth several hundred dollars to me. So I got a .300 Win. Mag. Oh yeah! Now that hits harder than a .270! Of course I kept the .270.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunI would turn it into a 280AI......
+1

it'll cost extra to recut the boltface for a belted case, 280 is cheaper to shoot. or a 6.5/06 AI would be impressive as well.

Years ago I had alot of rifles in my cabinet and hunted with them all a good bit, these included
270,280,7mmRM, 270 weatherby, 7mm STW. for most hunting there wasn't enough difference in them to bother with, get to 500 yards and the STW shines brighter, but the difference in the 270 and 7RM was almost non-existant.
RR

Originally Posted By: soggydogHave to agree w/Matt N. Way more muzzle blast and recoil without much return for the punishment.

A .270 Winchester is a classic. Jack O'Conner had a right to love this one. It maybe a bit light for our biggest bears, but other than that there is nothing in North America too big for it.

Nothing wrong with a 7 Mag. But mostly what you get is more boom for not much else. Any animal that you are going to hit at 400 yards or so is not going to tell the diff.

Make Jack proud. Keep it a classic- keep it a .270 Winchester.

Thanks for the info guys. I already have a 300 in both win and weatherby. I'm going to keep this rifle a 270. I just wasn't to sure if it would have the knock down power at long distances out to 1K. But I'm still going to have it re-barreled, better trigger and a new stock. what are your suggestions are far as barrel makers and twist rate?

I'd really take a hard look at the 280 AI, as well as the bullet selection available in .284 vs .277.

It also depends on what you intend to shoot with it. If you plan on hunting elk, I'd drop the .270 like a hot rock and go for a bit more horsepower.

2MG, other than the bolt face, what is the difference between a Rem 700 std action and a mag action?

Corns right, there are very few high BC .277 bullets on the market. seems the best LR bullets come in 6.5 or 284. either one of those based on an 06 case will run a 270 into the ground past 700 yards. velocity's aren't much different but BC will outrun velocity every time.

As far as barrels go, I like Lilja, Hart, Rock Creek, Kreiger, or broughton. been hearing good things about Brux also.
RR

pac-nor
fwiw I to give the thumbs up (maybe two)for the 280 ai
but I am a little biased.......... I have one
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ibschmidtyWhat could you turn a .223 into. I heard I could just re-barrel it into a .17 rem. Is that true?

Yes.

Back