Twist rate for 7 mm Remington Mag and bullet weight

DAB

I want to pick all your brains a bit.

I am doing some loading for my brother in law for his 7mm Remington Mag. in a Weatherby Vanguard ( rifle was bought the year Weatherby came out with or chambered the Vanguard in 7mm Rem. Mag) The rate of twist as far as I can come up with is 1 in 10.

My question is ,,,is a 1-10 twist fast enough to stabilize a 150 gr Nosler Ballistic tip bullet? I am using IMR 4350 powder and a CCI 250 primer in Winchester cases.
He picked the bullet weight for an antelope hunt. I my self would have gone to a lighter bullet if it was just for antelope only.

The bad part of this whole thing is He is doing the shooting and not me. If he had a rifle that would drive tacks I do not know if he is a good enough shot to drive tacks. So I do not know if he is capable of shooting any better than an 1-1/2" group that he is shooting with this combination???

The reason He is doing the shooting is that the rifle has too long of a stock for me to shoot. As Kracker says I have SHORT Teradactill arms.
mad.gif
grin.gif

DAB

The first "goat" I shot with a 7 mag was a running shot at about 200 yds 2nd shot dropped him, he ran into my bullet. I was using 154 g Hornady sp back then. I now use the 139 g Hornady or 140 g Sierra for most hunting and use near max IMR 4831 powder, using older manuals and powders of the same age.
Jim

Back