45 Long Colt loads for Deer & Elk

baddog

Gentle and ladies
I plan on hunting for Deer and Elk this fall and would like to take them with my newly aquired .45 Long Colt Ruger Blackhawk. I'm looking for some proven loads for this pistol. For the Elk I may use Belt Mountain solid brass bullets,so if anyone has any information on this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Aim small Miss small

I use to have a bisley blackhawk in 45lc. If I was going to hunt deer and elk, i'd look into the 300gr XTP , w296 powder and mag primers.

WLP primers, 18.5 grains of 2400, and a 250 or 255 grain Keith style cast bullet. A regular cast bullet will do fine. Hard cast is not necessary.

Work up to that load. It is a little hot-but not overly hot. I shoot 20.0 grains of 2400 in my Low Wall in 45 Colt. and 18.5 grains in my revolvers.

The 300 grain bullet is OK. But not necessary.

Jacketed bullets are OK, but not needed. They will not have any advantage in the "killing ability", and are considerably more expensive.

I cast my own 45 Colt bullets and I can shoot about 1,000 rounds for about $100. You can not do that with jacketed bullets.

A couple more tips I have learned about the 45 Colt. First magnum primers are not necessary. And do not seem to shoot as accurately. This has been my experience as well as several other people. Also the 45 Colt requires a heavy crimp. Especially with 2400. However I prefer 2400 because it gives great case fill. Tom.

Quote: First magnum primers are not necessary. Tom.

That depends on what powder you are using. With the 296 i would highly recommend them.

For deer and elk, 270gr (Keith style) Leadhead atop 23gr H-110 with Win LP primers will get it done nicely. I got this load from Tommy (owner of Leadheads bullets) and he said a guy he knows took a grizzly with it.

If you really want to flatten something, my "flying anvil" load consists of a 335gr Cast Performance WLNGC over 22.8gr H-110 using CCI 350 primers. I believe I got this load from John Linebaugh over the phone one day......

"my "flying anvil" load" - LMAO!! Now that's funny. Sounds like it flattens them, but may throw a punch on both ends!

I need to play with the heavies more in my 44 too.

Originally Posted By: crapshootQuote: First magnum primers are not necessary. Tom.

That depends on what powder you are using. With the 296 i would highly recommend them.

I am not doubting your point. I have never shot W-296 in my 45 Colt's. But why do you recommend magnum primers?? I know a lot of guys who shoot 45 Colt, and no one likes magnum primers. But why in W-296?? Friendly question, I like learning new things about the 45 Colt. Have you chronoed that load?? How clean does the powder burn. I always get a little dirt in my rifles with 2400, but with a heavy crimp it is not real bad. Tom.

Last edited:
Back