270 Win for coyotes

Aroz

I may be selling my other firearms for financial reasons, and I'll be down to one rifle that can do double duty as a coyote and deer rifle. The only rifle I have that fits that bill is my Rem 700 in 270. My question is: Has anyone here had any experience with the Managed Recoil loads Remington makes for the .270? I feel like this may be a more ideal round in the 270 for coyote size game
crazy.gif
Let me know what you guys think. Pretty sure this caliber is not going to be that fur friendly, but I would like to save some fur if possible
grin.gif

The Managed Recoil loads from Remington shoot the most accurately in my rifle of any loads I've tried.
Unfortunately, nothing out of a .270 is likely to be fur-friendly...unless you can pull off a head shot.

Last edited:
I'd use an accubond, its a tough bullet and won't expand nearly as much as some others. Better to have 2 small holes than one that turns the yote inside out if you wanna save fur.

Rick, the 110 v-max is very tender at 270 win. velocities, it was built for the 6.8 SPC
RR

I wonder why everyone wants to know what bullet is "fur friendly" when a coyote pelt is worth about $8 after all the work of skinning, not to mention fleas and ticks.

va_ken said:
I wonder why everyone wants to know what bullet is "fur friendly" when a coyote pelt is worth about $8 after all the work of skinning, not to mention fleas and ticks. [/quot right on Iuse to save em they would say $25 when it came time to sell $3 bucks

I agree with Daddyflea. Stick with one load. I have been using the ol'270 for 50 years (doesn't seem that long) and have shot everything from grouse to elk. It will kill them all but I have never experienced any bullets that you could really call "fur (or feather) friendly". On grouse, I try to take their head off, but one time I missed and hit it dead on. All I got was a wing and a foot. Not feather friendly.

I shot one coyote while deer hunting with a 270 using a 130 partition, punched in and punched out. He ran a long ways.

I have seen one other shot with a 270. I took a newbie back in the late 80's and all he had was a 270 to use. He had loaded some 90 Sierra HP's, I think they were sierras, 90HP;s for sure. Center chest shot coming in and turned the lights out at the crack of the gun. Not even a speck of blood where the bullet entered.

If you are after fur, either stop the bullet inside or let it punch through with a premium bullet. If bone is hit, all bets are off. It will most likely make a mess no matter what bullet you use.

Shot a coyote at 200yds this winter with 130gr SP Federal Classic. Right behind the ears. No damage what-so-ever. Probably more lucky than anything, and one coyote isn't a good sample size, but it worked great.

If you pay attention to your shot placement it shouldn't tear em up too bad. Like someone else posted, "Hit bone and all bets are off!"

Adam

Better more gun than not enough. If you dont care about fur .270 is a great caliber, my favorite by the way.

Don't know about the managed recoil rounds, but the 270 Win is a great coyote gun generally.

In the 270 the 90 grain HP "Varminter" by Sierra is tough to beat when handloaded to sane veloctities !! Good stuff.

Thanks everyone!

NativeCraft- I will be sure to try them then!

Va Ken- I don't sell the hides, and I have such sparse luck as a newcomer (less than 2 years experience in predator hunting) that it seems a shame to not keep a fitting souvenir from outwitting a wiley coyote.

RagnCajn- I had initially thought I might try some Partitions for dual duty, but maybe not after all.

Originally Posted By: ArozThanks everyone!

NativeCraft- I will be sure to try them then!

Va Ken- I don't sell the hides, and I have such sparse luck as a newcomer (less than 2 years experience in predator hunting) that it seems a shame to not keep a fitting souvenir from outwitting a wiley coyote.

RagnCajn- I had initially thought I might try some Partitions for dual duty, but maybe not after all. Thats what tails are fur!
wink.gif

Like others I have used a R-700 (my second one) for about 35 years. Elk,deer (10 last yr.), hogs and turkeys of opportunity. No it doesn't tear turkeys up, they are too soft to expand the 130gr. H. Customs.
Haven't killed a coyote with it but caught some dogs killing goats one day and killed three. Didn't autopsy, it was late, cold and beginning to rain. 270 kills them all with one shot with no runners. Can't post pictures here as we don't do gore. You can keep a collection of tails!

Back