Mange in coyotes?

specializedcc

Can they recover from mange or do they have to live with it until they die? I saw 2 tonight with absolutely no hair, and couldnt believe they were stil alive after the negetive temps the last couple days. Shot the second one just to put it out of its misery and it got me wondering.

From what I've read it is 100% fatal unless treated. Needless to say most coyotes won't ever get treated.
Usually death will be due to infection.

I agree with you, how they survive bitter cold being hairless is truly unbelievable.

Some idiots here in TX seem to think they are chupacabres. Some kind of mexican lore, warewolf or something. Awhile back they spent a bunch of time and effort on one that was shot doing tests and whatnot, and guess what they determined?? Mangy coyote. I saw one alive on my ranch a week ago. Trying to sell it to the news so they can come get a video of a living, breathing chupacabre, aka mangy coyote. LMAS

I've killed several over ther years that either had recovered from it, or who were in a state of remission, for lack of a better word. They were hairless and wore the charactyeristic dark grey dried up lookjing skin, but had no signs of active scratching, no wounds or skin ulcerations of any kind, and did not have the foul odor common to mangy coyotes. I do not think that they ever grow full pelage again if they survive, and if they do, it's awfully mousy looking.

I have unfortunately killed a few with mange here in Northwest Wyoming. Some were in extremely bad shape while a couple appeared to be in the early stages.

Jim, didn't you tell me that there were some (at least 1 or 2) coyotes killed in your area that were also carrying the plague?

I called one in last year in the Big Horn Basin with mange but didn't get him. I have seen a few over the years with mange but not very many. I don't think it is very common in Wyoming. I grew up in eastern Montana and trapped and shot a lot of coyotes there and never did see one with mange. I don't know if it is the different area or there is just more mange now.

I've seen two since March. Both in about the same quadrant(south and west near the Graybull river). One(March) was completely bald, but still alive and vigorous. The second was two weeks ago on a calling session at 45 yards. That one was completely bald from just behind the front shoulders to the tip of his tali. He to was still in good shape. More often they die of infection as doggin coyotes noted. Several years ago when mange was running through this area again I DID see a couple of coyote mange survivors. They are easy to spot as the fur grows back in black where the mange was. Whether it stays that way forever I can't say; probably not since the following year I did not see those 'yotes. Maybe they got lead poisoning in the interim though.

Yes, last season Wildlife Services tested some coyotes killed in Wasakie County and of the number they tested and I can't remember how many it was total, 5 tested positive for plague tieters in their system. So they had been exposed to the plague. Given the fact that every 8 years or so the plague runs through the prairie dogs its not unexpected and why I wear gloves whenever I'm skinning coyotes. I did see a mangy coyote last season run across a county road in front of me in Feb on Owl Creek. Couldn't get a legal shot so he more than likely die a tough death of exposure given all the late storms this spring. DR most of the coyotes with mange that I have come across were west of Hwy 120.

Last edited:
The mange was bad in so MT, and in Sheridan co. I saw a few in IA that seemed to have patches of regrown hair. The mange took nearly all our red fox 17-18 yrs ago, the coyotes went down some, but recovered and took over.

Being a fan of cryptozology, when the "CHUPRACABRA" craze hit Texas a few years ago, I folowed the results closely. It was interesting to see those reports as they came in! As the wildlife biologists were being called upon....it was soon determined that those chupra's were just mangey coyotes....destined to die a gruesome death!

With no hair to protect them from the elements, and their skin turning blue/gray....they were done for!

Last edited:
Rich Higgins had a report from a researcher that indicated that once a population had mange, it took 15 years to fully run it's course...soooo...it looks like when members of a population get it, it tends to stick around for a while.

Tim

i have a solution for mange its called a bullet between the eyes... i dont think that they get over it plus it speads between critters

I have had some areas that where 60% mange and others that where 25% or so. It seems to be getting better as the last few winters have really zapped alot of them, dead mangy coyotes when they move hay stacks is the reports the last few winters.

We have it here in NY. I don't touch the ones with it. Game warden told me you can get it and take it home to your animals. I'll roll em into a hole with a stick and bury em. I've seen alot of them.

Back