Building a AR-15

I built a 1:8 twisted 20" fluted bull kit on a DPMS lower with a standard free float tube, ace stock, mil. spec. bolt carrier group & RRA trigger not long ago for around 750.00. It took about an 45 min. to assemble, but the upper was already together. It was very easy & shoots as well as my 24" Bushy varming special.

You probably won't save a lot but if you shop around for the parts... new and used... you can usually build a rifle for the same cost as a new one but with much better parts in it.

Thank you. They don't mak a 22-250 upper do they?I tried to look for one and failed to find one. They make a 204 but I don't know why not a 22-250.

Quote:They make a 204 but I don't know why not a 22-250.

The cartridge is too long to fit in an AR magazine, for one thing. You would need a lot more than an upper, you would need a different bolt to handle the fatter cartridge.

You can quit looking, because nobody offers one.

The 22-250 case is too long to work in the AR-15 platform. You could build one on an AR-10 receiver, I believe.

Check out AR15.com, they have excellent tutorials w/ good pics on building AR's. As previously stated, you probably aren't going to save much $, but you will be able to build exactly what YOU want and with quality parts. Just remember, there's only two things on an AR that attribute to it's accuracy, the barrel and the trigger. All the rest is "lipstick and rouge".

The days of saving by rolling your own are pretty much over, at least for now. The advantage is that you can custom make yours the way you want it, you can make it light with a 16" that will shoot just as good as the longer barrels out to say 4-600yds. Or you can make it a long range shooter out to 1000yds.

You can make it open sights, scoped or both. The bottom line is that you will end up with a great understanding of how your rifle works, and what to do to make any changes in the future. The only thing i suggest is, ... don't fall for all the cool guy, trick of the week b.s. blue

The thing about building an AR upper is, you'll need to invest in some tools and headspace gauges to do it right. That adds a lot of cost to building just one and you won't save any money over buying a quality upper that's already assembled.
If you know somebody that will lend you the tools and gauges for a day or two, you'll come out ahead.

Quote:there's only two things on an AR that attribute to it's accuracy, the barrel and the trigger. All the rest is "lipstick and rouge".

That right there is 100% true. Don't skimp on the barrel or trigger and it will shoot.

Last edited:
Another comment on the 22-250 AR is that the case is too tapered for it feed properly. The ones that have tried in the past have found that they simply will not feed consistently. Sure would be cool if someone ever figured it out.

I just built one about a month ago and it cost me $655.00 total. I did get the lower for a present but if I factored that into the cost it would have been $755.00. I don't consider that too bad since the cheapest I've seen any AR around here for is $1000. I assembled the lower myself and I got a complete upper. I used no special tools of any kind. The hardest part was installing the front pivot pin.
BP

If you are building on a stripped lower, that darned front takedown pin detent & spring
mad.gif
takes longer to get right than the whole rest of the job...
crazy.gif

I set up a soft 'backboard' in front of my work area to keep the flying detent & spring from launching across the room into oblivion...
wink.gif
You guys who've done it should know what I mean...
whistle.gif

I built a tool out of 1/4" Delrin rod with a .095 hole through it. You can install the detent on the first try by using it as a "cheater" pin.

Or you could order one from Midway or Model One. $4 seems like a bit considering how "complex" it is.
laugh.gif

Pivot pin tool

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bluealteredThe days of saving by rolling your own are pretty much over, at least for now. The advantage is that you can custom make yours the way you want it, you can make it light with a 16" that will shoot just as good as the longer barrels out to say 4-600yds. Or you can make it a long range shooter out to 1000yds.

We make them just this way: The way and parts that you want. I've made 16" standard M4's all the way to a custom .243 $1400 upper and everything in between.

I can't stress to customers enough that build something that you want. Don't buy a factory gun and then replace the buttstock, replace the handguards and then the trigger. Do it all and save money and don't have these parts laying around.

Good luck with whatever you do, a lot of good information here.

Ok, Might think about a AR-10 now in 308. If I was to get one AR I was thinking what would be the best caliber for all around. As for hunting and that insecurity feeling that creeps out every once in a while from big brother. Yes, semi are not legal here to hunt with, but maybe some day if enough people writes in and try to get it legalized.

What are peoples takes on the AR-10 308 caliber? Is this a good price for a lower? Or does some one know of a better deal some place else?

https://www.gilbertsguns.com/Rifles/Armalite/Armalite+AR-10+Complete+308+Lower+Receiver

Quote:If I was to get one AR I was thinking what would be the best caliber for all around.

Well, personally, I'd get an AR 10 in .243 Winchester. It's based on the .308 case necked down to 6mm, so it will use standard .308 magazines, etc.
That's something you could use for predators, deer, antelope sized game. It's a pretty good step up from .223 without totally destroying pelts, and the recoil in an AR 10 would be very mild.
Armalite would make a good lower, here, it's $411. I just saved you $80.

Armalite link

Here's the same thing with a NM trigger installed for $486. That's what I'd get.

AR-10 lower w/NM

BUT, before you decide on Armalite, look at these:

Remington R 25

Now how sweet is that?
wink.gif

Back