First Bobcat

Boomy

IMG_0766.jpg

On Saturday morning I violated my own rule about getting up earlier than normal when I don't have to. So after cursing at my alarm at 5:00 AM, I got up and out to the woods. I had decided to try a pipeline that I knew had coyotes on it, but had never produced for me. After walking down about half a mile or so, I found a spot that made me feel warm and fuzzy. On one side was a pile of logs that would force a coyote to walk out into the open if it wanted to get to the sound. On the other side (approximately 26 paces) was a large pine tree with nothing at the base. The tree was set back about a foot with sort of thin brush on either side to hide me until it was too late for the coyote.
I started of with fawn in distress. There was a doe behind be about a hundred yards that did not appreciate the sound. She came flying out and circled the log pile looking for the little one. After hearing her snort at me and the caller for about five minutes, I turned the caller to Coyote Challenge Howl and she left. After a minute I switched to Lighting Jack for about 15 seconds. Nothing so I decided to try a scenario. I put on Bobcat In Heat, right into Angry Bobcat, right back into Lighting Jack. I thought that maybe a coyote would come in ready to fight for a meal. I was wrong. I waited in silence for a while than started playing Lightning Jack in 5-second bursts. By the fourth burst I had a Bobcat walking right in front of me next to the logs. Her attention was entirely focused on the caller, and she never even saw me lift the gun. I took my time put the sights on her and DRT.
IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0761.jpg

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Originally Posted By: Smokin250 I wish we had bobcats around here!
Really? I would not have guessed that you didn't. Since you can find lynx up North, I mistakenly thought that everyone up North had bobcats. Hmmm

Great story and summary of your hunt Boomy!!! Nice cat Bro!!! Chad

I think you are the first person that Ive heard of to have any luck with Bobcat in Heat sound!!!Good job!!!

Originally Posted By: MCWALK
I think you are the first person that Ive heard of to have any luck with Bobcat in Heat sound!!!Good job!!!
Actually, I've had luck with it before...........on two coyotes
grin.gif

Honestly! Nothing was coming in so I tried BCIH then into Baby Bird Distress. Sure enough they came in running.

We've had a fair amount of luck with bobcat in heat call. It's by no means our number 1 go to call, but it does work. We usually use it in January - February if they're not responding to rabbit or bird sounds...

Man brother considering the "weather down here" you did a great job. OH and that "spot" gives me a warm a fuzzy feelin too.

Originally Posted By: Evil_LurkerCongratulations! Post a bigger pic of that cat if you've got one, it looks like a beauty.
Her fur looks rather bleached out so I'm not as happy as I could be. I guess I'll just have to get another one this winter
grin.gif

BobcatCloseup.jpg

congrats on the bobcat boomy!!! They are my predator of choice, it's pretty much all I target during the winter months. Great job on the kill, would make a pretty mount.

Back