Different results - heres why

Quote:I also would like to hear about night hunting as compared to day hunting...what would you guys do different, if anything?

I don't do too much night hunting here in Massachusetts, as you cannot use a light ..... lame. Also 22lr or shotgun only. No centerfire allowed at night.

But I have done a good amount of night callin' in NY and Maine back in the day. LOTS of fun, but you gotta get a good partner, unless you are runnin a night vision scope or good gun mounted light.

I tend to open areas like gravel pits, chip yards, fields and the like. Preds are VERY easy to call into the open at night. But night hunting presents its own problem with IDing your target, lighting things up, and night shooting is very hard in general. Still fun to be out at night.

We have a very good night caller here named Andrew Lewand from NY, and I have read all his articles. He is the Man at night in these parts.

He is here once in awhile, but don't recall his PM name.

Maybe he would be kind enough to drop in !!!

WOW...what better thread to make my appearence on than this one...LOL !

I get a big kick everytime hear the great East vs West BS , finally had to register to speak my peace.

I tell you I would not hunt coyotes if the Eastern side of the country was as bad as some make it out to be.

Too few 'yotes , hmmm...lots of 4-7 dogs per packs in my area , they are everywhere.

Too few open areas , hmmm..I hunt lots of 700+ acre cattle and crop lands...wide open places no different than a lot of mid-west coyote honey holes you see on popular videos.

There is no way I would put $1200+ in a riffle , $600+ in hunting clothes / gear and another $600+ in hand calls / electronic calls to only kill a dozen or so dogs per year....thats just crazy!!

The only difference in East & West is LAWS .....I cant "road hunt" here in Ohio and I cant just pull off the road where ever I please and sling lead . I have to hunt all private land as my State is probably 98% private land , 2% public....but those are the only differnces I see !

I dont night hunt or hunt from a tree stand (I leave that to those big "DEER " hunters). Not that Im slamming those that do , its just not my cup of tea.

Learn to use the calls , get permission from many livestock owners and above all "set up" properly in each stand and you wont have to envy those "western" coyote hunters , I know I dont , I love to hunt in the cold and have LOTS of 'yotes all to myself.

Good day gents ,

Matt

I guess it is my turn to add a little something here...First off Im not a professional predator hunter and Im telling what works for me...I am a night hunter and I hunt the night shift 90% of the time as to day time hunting...When I make a stand at night I still pay attention to wind direction...I also even though its dark I still get into or get in front of some kind of cover,whether it be a thick fence row, a round bale of hay, an island out in the field ,rocks or stand up against an old barn or silo....You still need something to break up your outline...If Im targeting coyote only I start the stand with a few howles,invitational or lone howls just to introduce myself and wait about 5 minutes...When I howl I always like a sound that is somewhere between a coyote pup to a female vocal...I dont think sounding like an alpha male coyote all the time would be a good choice because I would think it would scare younger coyotes to coming into the call...Im not a trophy coyote hunter so any coyote will do...After about 5 minites of waiting and nothing shows I use the distress sounds like cottontail,jackrabbit,snowshoe or whatever...I will do this 30 second to 1 minite intervals...If there is a coyote in the area this should be all it takes to bring one in for the shot...If nothing shows after this calling session I goto plan B ...I now target fox and bobcat...If Im where I know fox will be I take and switch it up a bit...I now will play either screamin grey or juvenile red fox...I have had great success with screamin grey and yes you will pull in fox after you have tried coyote vocals,Ive done it...If Im in the rocks or around big mountains where a bobcat should be I will try woodpecker in distress or some kind of busy sound that would bring a cat in...I read and hear all the time where people are so dead set on 15 minute stands, well I dont clock hunt so I stay untill I think its time to move on...Ive pulled in predators before even up until the thirty minute mark before...I keep my red light on at all times, stay off of the high ground so I dont get skylighted, play my sounds reasonably loud, scan with a halo, and easy on doors when I get out of the truck....This is what works for me...Hope this can help someone in the dark....Chad

Originally Posted By: Matt HollarThe only difference in East & West is LAWS .....I cant "road hunt" here in Ohio and I cant just pull off the road where ever I please and sling lead . Matt

What is this *road hunt* you speak of?

Originally Posted By: knockemdownHI Matt, welcome to Predator Masters!

You make some interesting points about hunting in your AO, however I'm curious to know what states you have hunted in "out west" to base your above opinion on?

I was wondering same thing...I disagree with your whole post Matt!....Welcome to Predator Masters.....Chad

Welcome to the board Matt! What part of Central Ohio are you from? I'm down here in ross county. There are quite a few of us Ohio boys on the board.
I don't think Matt was implying that he doesn't have luck killing dogs. Maybe I took him wrong though. IMHO, around here, access to good property is one of the biggest issues around here. As Matt said, there is alot of private owned land. Getting permission is sometimes like pulling teeth. Either it is leased, family only hunted or the farmers had a bad experience. Either way, a good place is hard to find. Especially by yourself. Easy access ussualy meens for everyone. Like I said before. Last year I called 11 coyotes and a fox. And I was happy with that. Considering the amount of land I have to hunt. It's hard to hunt a open field when thats all you have. I also hunt mainly in the daylight. I'm not keep on shooting at eyes. Plus we have alot of issues with poachers. If your out at night, everyone thinks your a poacher and wants to turn you in. I've had a few hunts ruined by flashing cruiser lights and Deputy's yelling accross a field.
Lets not ruin a good thread by out differences. We are on the same page. Just different opinions of the words

Knockem, Sled, and Chad,

Thanks for considering my questions about night hunting. I will be new to night hunting this coming year, and I appreciate all the insight.

Matt, welcome aboard. That certainly was an interesting first post, albeit opinionated.....but interesting nonetheless.
grin.gif

Night hunting is a different demon for me...i think its hard but i don't have the right equipment yet...that being a good light.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Smokin250Night hunting is a different demon for me...i think its hard but i don't have the right equipment yet...that being a good light.
Are you hunting open terrain or tight woods? Open I can't help you much. Everything cost money.
Me, I hunt tight woods at night. Never had any luck because I was going the spotlight route. When I switched over to headlanp and shotgun the whole world of night hunting opened up for me. Best part is that you can get rigged out at Walmart for about $50.
Colman Cree LED headlamp (with 2 red LEDs) $24
1" LED flashlight (90 lumen or better) $20
[my fulltime gun I upgraded to a 130 lumen from HomeDepot $40]
1" scope ring
I mount the scope ring Backwards/upsidedone under the barrel. I mount the flashlight to a small piece of base. Both my night guns have this setup and it works fine. Watch the red orbs come in, turn on the flashlight,identify the target, pull trigger. My shot are at around 20-30yds.

I typically hunt open terrain if i am hunting at night...never thought about hunting woods during the night. Do you just listen for them then flip on the light?

No, I leave the LEDs on full time. Since the LED's are on your head, you have minimal movement.
Spotlights make shadows dance every where. Create tons of false movement.
I heard one guy discribe it from a coyotes point of view.
Coyote:"Honey you'd never believe it! Every tree was reaching out to get me!! It was nuts!!!"
Mrs Coyote:" You've been eating bad bunnies again haven't you?!"

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips , Boomy. That's the post on night calling I've been waiting for.too few open areas around here.(Besides people's backyards)

Matt , welcome to PM! Maybe Ohio isn't as east as you may think.700 acre farm! livestock? whats that?Alot of us eastern hunters hunt dogs that have never seen a cow. prefer calling the twenty acre woodlot behind the Mcdonalds home!

I know quite a few serious coyote hunters. most have spent alot more money ,more than you suggest and would love to kill ONLY a dozen yotes.I gaurantee some have reread your post a couple times to wonder if you are serious.

Remember , we're all not delt the same hand.

Don't confuse this post with someone who's looking for sympathy. crying how bad I have it.The FACT is , many have it worse and many have it easier than I.This is true for all of us.

Beleive it or not many prefer to be at a disadvantage.Once coyotes become as easy as shooting A squirrel out of a tree.I'M hanging my calls up for good. Beleive this is true for many eastern hunters.

Good Day

Originally Posted By: swampwalkerThanks for the tips , Boomy. That's the post on night calling I've been waiting for.too few open areas around here.(Besides people's backyards)
Agreed.

Originally Posted By: swampwalkerMatt , welcome to PM! Maybe Ohio isn't as east as you may think.700 acre farm! livestock? whats that?Alot of us eastern hunters hunt dogs that have never seen a cow. prefer calling the twenty acre woodlot behind the Mcdonalds home!

I know quite a few serious coyote hunters. most have spent alot more money ,more than you suggest and would love to kill ONLY a dozen yotes.I gaurantee some have reread your post a couple times to wonder if you are serious.

Don't confuse this post with someone who's looking for sympathy. crying how bad I have it.The FACT is , many have it worse and many have it easier than I.This is true for all of us.

Beleive it or not many prefer to be at a disadvantage.Once coyotes become as easy as shooting A squirrel out of a tree.I'M hanging my calls up for good. Beleive this is true for many eastern hunters.

Good Day

Twice.

Originally Posted By: swampwalkerMatt , welcome to PM! Maybe Ohio isn't as east as you may think.700 acre farm! livestock? whats that?Alot of us eastern hunters hunt dogs that have never seen a cow. prefer calling the twenty acre woodlot behind the Mcdonalds home!

Good Day

I have thousnds of acres of private land to hunt and its not as easy as he puts on...Im like like swampwalker,when it gets as easy as squirrel hunting,Ill hang it up....Chad

Originally Posted By: Matt Hollar

The only difference in East & West is LAWS

How did you like hunting in Maine as compared to Texas? LOL

Back