Good load from inconsistent .223 fmj bullets

SJ72

I have been working up a load for my AR-15.(20 inch barrel 1:9 twist) I found a load that works well and shoots inside 1 MOA with my 55 Grain V-max bullets using H335. I also have about 1000 55 grain fmj bullets from Berry's bullets. They shoot horrible. I hoped they would shoot good with the same load as the v-max. Not only do they not, I have not found a load that will give me better than about a 4 inch group at 100 yards
frown.gif
. Finally I started measuring and weighing the bullets. They vary in weight from 54.3 grains up to 55.4. They vary in length from .730 to .754. I was hoping to load them up for target shooting, plinking, ect. but I need a little better accuracy than I am getting. My question is this, is there a load that is more forgiving that may give me better accuracy with such inconsistent bullets? If I could even get 2 moa I might live with it but right now I feel like I have 1000 bullets that are worthless. Any one had better luck with these bullets than I am?

I shot Noslers 55gr for coyote and Sierra 55gr fmjbt for fox, when I had my .223. they flew nearly identical. So I just used the same amount of powder, and ect, just different bullet for each.

FMJ bullets are the bottom of the barrel for quality and should reserved for blasting ammo only. The weight difference is actually pretty good for a bulk bullet I would think, the length difference sucks though. They cost a bit more but next time you want bulk bullets go with the Hornady 55gr SP/w cannalure. Some of the best shoot'n low cost bullets out there, and you can use them on game.

As for the ones you have, try a different powder, raise or lower your existing charge or flip up those open sights and pratice away. At 100 yards you wont see that 4 moa with open sights
laugh.gif

4" at 100 yards is 20" at 500 yards. That is good enough to hit a man sized target at 500 yards, and that's what the FMJ's are made for as far as I know.

I agree with Furhunter on the Hornady's. Maybe not match grade but likely a lot better than the FMJ's.

I got lucky (I think) with a .22-250 I had once. The only bullet it would shoot well was the 50 grain Rem PSP's available in bulk from Midway. But then, even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and again.
grin.gif

Same story from my RRA, shoots Vmax well and throws FMJ's all over the place. Didnt seem to matter if they were factory loaded or handloaded.

Another "cheap" bulley I've had good luck with is the Speer 55 gr. SP. They make them with and without a cannalure.
4 MOA is pretty bad accuracy out of an AR. I don't get good groups with factory FMJs, but they're no where near that bad. Have you checked for copper in the barrel?

SJ72, I've had the same experience (weight variance) with Berry's bullets for some of my handgun competitions...

While it's a pain in the neck, I wound up weighing each bullet, trying to group them into weight classes, just so I would have some form of consistency..

i.e., 155gr bullet would weigh from 152.5 to 157.0gr... When sorting them, I would put each bullet that weighed 154.5gr to 155.4gr into one container, 153.5 to 154.4 into another, etc..

While it didn't solve the problem, it did alleviate the wide swing in results... Since most of the handgun targets were inside of 35 yards, the point of impact didn't vary a whole lot by keeping the bullet weights pretty close..

Out of 1000 bullets in the box,, the majority fell into the primary category (approx 600) and the rest were pretty well spread into the others..

I bought a bunch of those Horanady Bulk bullets and did not like them. I had the same problem as the OP does with the FMJ's. With the Horanadys I would scatter a 3 in or more group. So I switched to the Blitzking and the groups really tightened up. Even though they cost more I like the fact the Bullet is hitting where I am aiming at.

Thanks for the help guys. I guess its a story of you get what you pay for. I did go out and try them with some different powder. 3031 gave me a group that was a little under 2". I don't think I will get better than that so I will just shoot them up when pinpoint accuracy does not matter.

Back