Too many 6mm's!!!

Nope, but I've shot with guys using 115's enough times. G. Gardner is using them out of a 243 right now, and Knockemdown will be runnin' 'em soon also.......

I've been told by a custom rifle builder the SMK's will survive speeds that make the A-max's and VLD's come apart...that being said, I like the a-max's too but have never shot the SMK's

I can't comment on the VLD's, but I've run several A-max offerings real hard with no troubles, and I know a bunch of others who do regularly also........

He said the velocity ceiling for the amax and vld in around 3300 fps in most barrels (6mm)....not sure I could push one that fast in a 26" tube anyways.

Last edited:
That makes sense. The rifle builder was having them come apart at about 3300 with a 1:8, said 1:9 would give you another 100fps. So with 1:10 you'd probably REALLY have to push them.

I know that another guy on 24hourcampfire that was using the 6-06, and he couldn't say enuf good things about it.

I don't know what u're using to get the necks down, but Blaine Eddy (big time coyote hunting wildcatter out of Utah) came up with an idea i've used that was nothing short of wonderful. He took a flat piece of metal plate and drilled holes smaller and smaller all along it bevelled a little sharper than a 40 degree shoulder, and ran a case in a shell holder that could be chucked up into a drill press. He then lubed the case neck with baby oil, and let the plate self center on the press table. He could then run them quickly into each smaller hole until he reached the desired diameter. I've used this system with a 6BR down to 20, and it's very impressive. Never seen it picked up yet by a major reloading manufacturer. It's gotta be 1 of the slickest systems going though.

For comparison...
Left to right, 87VMAX, 105AMAX, 115DTAC
6mmboolits.jpg

It would be interesting to try and compare the 105 A-Max, 115's and 117 DTAC for terminal effect at longer ranges on coyotes. I've always leaned to the polymer tips as i FEEL they would perform better in that category, but i really don't have enuf experience with them at ranges beyond 400 since i don't get that many opportunities really at those ranges, though i practice for it a lot.

Maybe a year or so ago one of the David Tubb group was supposed to have killed a coyote on the 1st shot at beyond 1100-some yds. using the 115 out of a 6XC and the super-cool DTAC reticle.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: 2muchgunOriginally Posted By: CatShooter
But the 6mm Rem goes from 54 for the plain Jane version, to 63.5... that's a whoppin' 17% improvement in case volume

17% would definitley be whoppin', as you say. In my estimation it is more like 9%, but the last thing I want to do @ this point is argue with you about it.........

The straight 6mm Rem has a case volume of 54gr of water... the 6mm AI has a case volume of 63.5!

63.5 divided by 54 is =equal to 1.1759259259259259259259259259259.

That is 17.59% more volume... what's the point and where do you get 9%? New math?

Your computer should have a calculator build into it - go to "Start", then "All programs", then "Accessories", then hit "Calculator"... try it, it's fun!

Or is this just another "disagree with me for the fun of it" comment??

Whatever...

when you divide 1.00 by 1.1759 you get .85 which by my estimate would be the gain.

Back