Lost Cow, Dumb question for Duane or somebody

Killforfood

A couple days ago friend of mine who lives up the road a ways bought a 3yr old semmintal momma cow.
The sellers delivered it while he was at work and for some unknown reason put her in with the bull. Apparently his bull drove her through a couple hot wires and down into the canyon.
It’s got a creek running down the middle with a kind of nasty mix of clear cuts, re-prod and timber. I think she’ll hold in there as there’s food and water but after two days of looking, only some track and no cow. He needs to find her before she stumbles into somebody’s freezer
Our question is will cows ever respond to a locater call of any kind? If we could get her talking, we could find her easy. I was thinking of standing at the head of the canyon with a big-ol road cone and doing my best impression of a lesbian cow in heat
blush.gif

If the cow was used to being with other cows a call might get her attention.
Have you taken a dog down in there to see if it can find her?
Rick H...

There's about 200 head up on the other side of the canyon so she may end up over there. They're keeping an eye out for her.

He's got Beagle, Cairn Terrier crosses and I don't think they would be of much help.

Three year olds aren't the smartest. Sometimes they will bunch up with other cows sometimes they will hang by themselves. I dont think your gonna get a response trying to call her. Best thing you can do is go through the neighbors cows and see if she made it into them or keep lookin around for tracks where she might be watering. You may never find her either, that happens alot.

~Lucas

Cattle are herd animals. Unless she's about ready to calve, she should be trying to find some other cattle. I'd have your friend ask who he got her from if he calls his cattle up to feed. If so, have him do a demo of his "call" and go back there rattling a bucket or a feed bag while calling and see what happens.

If she's wild, and it sounds like she might be, find someone who has some good stock dogs and make sure one likes to bark. He'll send them through the brush and the barking one will act as your "locator" and give you an idea where she's at when the dogs get on her.

Hope that helps.

I don't know if it will work in this case or not, but I sold a Foxpro to a old rancher at a gun show.He wanted calf distress sounds on it. I asked if he was having problems with depredation he said no he was too old to walk around looking for his cows. He thought it would work to call them.

I asked him to call and let me know if it worked. He did and it did. He said whether it was a single cow or more than one they came to the calf bawl or calf distress. Your mileage may vary.

Originally Posted By: Smith keep lookin around for tracks where she might be watering. You may never find her either, that happens alot.
~Lucas We found where she’s been watering. A neighbor lady called to say that she broke down some fence to get to water on her place. Seems odd she would break down a fence when she just could of just gone down to the creek but with the temps running over 100+ every day this week maybe it was the easier path.

Originally Posted By: MOFarmBoy

If she's wild, and it sounds like she might be, find someone who has some good stock dogs and make sure one likes to bark. He'll send them through the brush and the barking one will act as your "locator" and give you an idea where she's at when the dogs get on her.

Hope that helps. Yah, she’s wild. She only comes up for water and can occasionally be heard holding out in the canyon. The neighbor lady said she’ll try to tame her down a bit and drive her back on horseback.

Thanks for all the help,

Joel.

If I'm lookin for a young wild cow, I look for other cattle,
Or , turn out my brush dogs. Those are the two best ideas I got.

The Cow is home!
She wandered across the canyon tore through another fence (that’s three) and got in with the big heard up on the other side. They spotted her, cut her out and loaded her into a trailer for the ride home. Other than tearing up a leg she’s fine except for being a bit crazy eyed.
Randy said she come out of the trailer like a rodeo bull and caught a good 4ft of air before tearing off at a dead run for the nearest fence line. This time he put her in a field with a tall 6 strand and double hotwire fence. That was enough to hold her and she just ran the perimeter for awhile looking for away out. He put his bull and steer in with her and their getting along like a couple kids on prom night, well except for the steer. He’s the odd man out now. Sucks to be little brother when the girl friend comes over.

Last edited:
Back