Different results - heres why

I got a question for sleddog. I see were you are saying about run and gun. how long are you staying on stands? 10 minutes? 45 minutes? do you change it up? I have allways scouted hard found critters and then stayed on stand longer. closer to a half hour or more if I know there are coyotes in the area. for fox I normally stay on stand atleast 20 minutes. many guys claim that is too long for the areas I hunt but I call critters in past the 10 or so minute mark consistantly enough to stay on stand. I do not think it takes that long to call one in. I think that maybe one just finally made it's way into hearing range. thoughts?

Sled, thanks for your time (illustrating stand) & opinion on the set up; I find it very interesting to see how you & others would differ in set up. I believe it also opens the mind to something that may have been missed (for me & the others reading). So keep it coming guys.

I am sure you are unfamiliar with our rules & terrain but in understanding that, may help in understanding how/why I make/choose certain sets.

First off night hunting is not legal in NC. Wish it was but oh well. Also, most rural areas are still right populated. It’s hard to stand on any road & not be able to see at least a couple houses. Oh, roads are abundant too. There are 1712 miles of roads just in the county I live in with only about 100 miles of that is not paved. There are very few large parcels.

Can you explain your day stand a little more? You have placed it in the pines, I’m assuming you did that on purpose? I’d have to go & scout the area but I would presume sight would be very limited in there. Usually, unless it is VERY mature timber, it’s hard to see much more than 10-40 yards in the woods this time of year. That worsens when you get more than 7-8 feet off the ground. I totally agree with you & the treestand thing (if it’s fixed; I wouldn’t carry in a climber) but it is out of the question this time of year inside the woods with the foliage. Also, if I was going to walk by the house on Allie Ln.; I’d absolutely try to get permission to park there (I wouldn’t walk by their house with a gun if I didn’t get permission). That would save a lot of sent… I realize if I got permission to hunt the woods but not the house parcel(had to skirt it), I agree your route would be best.

Below is the next set that I will make (assuming a very similar wind as did you…) now that we have gave them a taste.

----
Of course red being the hunters. Notice the two red as I will have my same “shooter” with me. Yellow is the foxpro again (not forgetting I have to make sent trail to it as well). The purple, peach, & green arrows are probable (notice I didn’t say possible) coyote entries. On this stand I would expect coyotes most likely to enter from the green. It’s the worst entry in for the set, but I would hope they would make it to my shooter before winding me. Next, I would expect the peach entry. A coyote could easily get the advantage here as well, but I would hope to get a shot before he made the turn & got my sent. The purple entry is the most obvious & would make for the easiest shot/kill, but as coyotes seldom make it easy, I suspect it the least probable (will have to travel a lot with tailwind) On this stand, I wouldn’t care if I could even see the foxpro or not

Hunt2.jpg

(I also like the set swamp spoke of getting inside the western tree line. I would like to set up 70 or so yards into the timber with the foxpro very close to me, about were my light blue wind arrow starts. However, there is not a good entry other than hitting it in the evening & walk through the middle of the pasture along the wind line & hope no coyotes are on the edges…)

I’d like to hear any comments or any other opinions.

Originally Posted By: coleridgeOriginally Posted By: 4949shooter
coleridge said:
Coleridge,

That's a big hole in the underside of that dog. Where did you hit it??

Haha... that's not me in the photo. That's my shooter. He did all the shooting that day. He had never killed one so I let him have all the fun.

He shot it with my sons .243; packing a hot laod of varget under a 75gr v-max. That combo is hard on them
smile.gif
but we don't save hides either.

He actually came close to missing that dog too. He hit him low just infront of the left shouder & it exited as you see (he was also shooting downward a bit). The wound is streached a little with the legs pulling down. But that bullet usually does open them pretty bad though. BTW, the guy in the pic is right at 6'.
That's a big dog and a serious exit wound.

I know I wouldn't want to be hit by one of those 75 grain V-Max's.
eek.gif

Quote: I got a question for sleddog. I see were you are saying about run and gun. how long are you staying on stands? 10 minutes? 45 minutes? do you change it up?

Hi Bigben ...... here is an answer most will have trouble believing. I would say 70-80 percent of my daytime (called in the woods) coyotes are killed in under 5 minutes. When it goes over 5 minutes, I know my chances are goin' down every second.

I like a long first and last stand of the day (travelin' coyotes), but even then most dogs are shot fast. But in the AM, I have had enough sucess with late arrivals that makes me stick it out. 45 minutes is good.

Seems around here in the woods, you have either gotten to stand clean and fool 'em and they come FAST, or they caught you or just aren't in earshot.

I have spent a long time callin' 20 minute stands in my life, and just don't find the bang for my time is worth it.

10 minutes is good for coyotes ....... 5 is probably plenty, but extra 5 minutes lets me feel better.

Even when I'm hunting cats, most are shot quick as well. When the snow is down, I can see those cats bombing in from my stands ....... They however, tend to pull up short (most times) and make the last approach slower. I think fellas miss the initial arrival on cats, and it may take awhile to coax them the rest of the way. But on occassion, they CHARGE in faster than a coyote.

While on the subject of actual calling (the noise we make), this is what I do. I think the sounds we make are fairly over rated, but I like rabbit and puppy sounds best.

I call a loud, short series, like thirty seconds. No joke, if I fooled 'em on the way in, I often can hear the leaves rustlin' in under a minute or 2. More time than I can count, I've had 'em in soooooo fast!

Sounds like these.

Sleddoggs sounds

Don't be afraid to bust it out.

This is quite the awesome post. I live in South West Ohio. East of Cincinnati, and i started hunting coyotes around January or so of 08' and i have killed 2 in the time frame. I purchased my first "good" calls on here last october. I have several from TT and Dirt. I think of my self as a very driven hunter, and hunt all year round now. Most of the time there isn't a week that i am not in the woods with a call, or deer hunting. I try to learn every last detail i can from being out there. I cant even come up with a number of how many nights i have gone out driving around public land howling to see if i can get a response for a possible new hunting spot. I have had decent success in my opinion for my little skill...i don't give myself much credit. So far this year i have called in around 5 or 6 i think...To most people i know they think thats outstanding...but like i said i typically hunt AT LEAST one day a week. I have only connected with one this year too. That is probably why i like coyote hunting so much, its not easy, and jot everyone does it. I felt that i have learned alot for just hunting with Dirt for a day, and reading these posts on here have definately confirmed some of my thoughts and experiences.

The wind thing is the hardest for me, i feel that i pay attention to it most of the time but sometimes i just forget about it, or i can't do anything about it. 90% of my hunting spots are public land, and i kind of have to go where i can when i can because of the fact that it is public land. But like sled said some stands should only be reserved for certain wind directions. I will have to dig deeper with knowledge to try and pull more dogs in.

Sleddog, thanks for taking the time to post, I really appreciate it. Kirby, thank you as well for your posting's.
Sleddog, I'm not to sure how big your woodlots are, but how deep are you entering your lots? Say you have a great tree stand spot overlooking a saddle with a deer trail through it, 1 mile in. Do you walk that far in and risk laying down all that scent or pick a workable stand location closer to where you parked? Are you using decoys? In your av. you have a foxpro, how often do you use it and how do you set up with it. Up wind of you or cross wind and how far? I cant get your .wav files to play on my computer. What software do I need, quicktime? Are you using the tweety call?

thanks,
Bob

Last edited:
Quote: Sleddog, I'm not to sure how big your woodlots are, but how deep are you entering your lots? Say you have a great tree stand spot overlooking a saddle with a deer trail through it, 1 mile in. Do you walk that far in and risk laying down all that scent or pick a workable stand location closer to where you parked? Are you using decoys? In your av. you have a foxpro, how often do you use it and how do you set up with it. Up wind of you or cross wind and how far? I cant get your .wav files to play on my computer. What software do I need, quicktime? Are you using the tweety call?

Hey Bob

I love the hunt primarily wooded terrain as the season wears on, as the coyotes are alot more comfortable traveling there. My woodlots range in size from a couple acres to many miles deep.

You gotta give up something unless you can fly. So to disrupt things as little as possible, I try to enter with the wind in my face, blowin my smell from where I came. Sometimes crosswind is the best you are gonna do.

I concentrate on not blowin my smell TO the animals.

If I am hunting smaller woodlots, I many times go in only 75 yards or so as stealthily as possible, AVOIDING logging roads and deer runs, as these are most likely how the coyotes will get to you. Especially after snow falls big.

Hunting rain is great to cover sound. Entering using streams as cover is one of my favored tricks, and I have an old set of Rangers with felt soles installed to aid this entry style.

For big woods, I travel by foot, quad, or snowmobile cutting the big woods into sections and use the same "minimal damage" entrance routes everywhere.

As far as the ecaller goes, I use it often when I hunt from treestand to treestand. I use it like this ...... I walk in using the prevailing wind as much as possible. As I walk, is simply set the ecaller down and double back downwind exactly as I came in, only far as I lose sight of the caller. Usually 40-60 yards around here. I blow a loud short series on my Tweety ..... then swith the ecall on low with a constant Vole sound playin. Coyotes respond initially to the Tweety, and then are drawn to the mouse sound on the e call. Many times I get a shot, .... many times I don't. Thick cover or wind may defeat me. Thats hunting, and one reason I shoot a 243 @ 4x. Big punch, for fast shooting, and maybe marginal hits.

Not sure why you can't get my sounds up .... too bad as some folks have loaded them and shot some dogs.

I could get by with my Foxpro just havin a mouse or lipsqueek. I just use it as described above.

Silly, but works pretty good.

Lastly, I have tracked coyotes back after a kill in snow. I have called them out of a sidehill bed on a calm day 600 yards away. You have more "wiggle room" than you think with a low wind day.

On a windy day, probably cut that distance in half or less depending on wind mph. I tend to not call much with wind over 20 mph in the woods.

Hope some of this helps !!

Got a few great questions private message. I'll answer here.

Bobcats ..... my bobcats are shot by chance when callin coyotes. If I noticed a common trait to areas I kill cats, its thick, usually around ponds with the brush holding pheasant, grouse, and rabbits. I have seen most cats night callin.

I don't sit in the woods when I call. Just stand at the base of a big Oak or Hemlock tree. I use a facemask, and gloves. I don't kneel, as it cuts my vision down and causes too much movement. I shoot offhand, either left or right. Do yourself a favor, practice shooting offhand, or semi offhand, maybe braced by your tree you lean against.

Yes, I prefer handcalls. Tweety is my favorite, but primos makes some good calls. Open reeds don't freeze in cold weather. The only custom calls I have are Tony Tebbee "furball", Cronk "Killer" and a super sweet closed reed made by Deathcard calls. All are great calls.

I do a good bit of Howling (Cronk) to start stands after Xmas. I know it works on occassion, as on of the best coyotes I ever killed came to a Howl only.

Howling doesn't seem to bother Bobcats and foxes around here, as I have killed both after howling.

Wind ... yup, I know you can have a coyote run right in with the wind, and if you read one of my first replies here, I state coyotes will give up the wind on occasion. Depending how hungry they are, and how well they are fooled? who knows? Doesn't happen too much to me though ..........

October/November are my most productive months.

Originally Posted By: sleddogg

Hope some of this helps !!

Yes very helpful sleddog. You have answered most of the ?'s I had pondered on for some time, except the decoy. You have not mentioned one so i think the answer is no. What is your ave. distance for a shot on a pred. in the woods? For me around here the ave shot is 30 - 40 yards. I admit that that is for mostly deer as I have only recently picked up calling pred. For this reason, I think I will grab the shotgun for coyotes in most instances for the woods. I may change my mind at some point, time and experience will tell. i am sure some stands will warrant a rifle.

thanks,
Bob

Sleddog i saw that you said you generally stand when calling. I have never tried that myself but it seems to make a lot of sense for off hand shooting and being able to see more, but i would think that you would end up with too much movement that way? Maybe i am wrong, just curious.

Quote: Sleddog i saw that you said you generally stand when calling. I have never tried that myself but it seems to make a lot of sense for off hand shooting and being able to see more, but i would think that you would end up with too much movement that way? Maybe i am wrong, just curious.

Nope. Sitting or kneeling make way more noise and movement when adjusting for a shot.

Standing, I can shoot either right or lefty, ease the gun up and maybe have to twist my upper body slightly. Feet stay still (quiet). Don't get seen too much, just stay calm, and get ready ahead if possible. If totally surprised in the rain or snow, just try to move based upon where he is looking.

Facemask and gloves really help...... remember, I'm only standing for ten minutes or so, as my stands are short.

Now is a great time to practice off hand, and any gun will work ..... 22 Lr is cheap and will allow you to work the bugs out cheap.

Re: mail I got on calibers and guns........ my choice of the 243 is based on my style of hunting only. I can't recomend anything smaller for the junk shots we get in the woods. I really need end to end, bone breaking power. My second choice is a 270 Win with a modest velocity 90 grain HP handload.

My recomended rifle choice is the lightest bolt I can find. No real preferance in manufacturer, as long as its light. Most off the shelf guns can deliver coyote killin 60 yard shots.
grin.gif

If I was an open terrain hunter, anything from a 17 Fireball up would be fine, as shot placement can be much more precise.

Thanks for the answer sled. makes sense, i might have to try that. I have been hunting woods 90% of the time lately anyway. I typically have gloves and face mask on too, on top of my 3-d suit

+1 on the off hand shooting.

90% of my dry fire practice is from the offhand position. This is the best way to learn proper shouldering of the weapon, trigger squeeze, and sight alignment for the quick and sudden type of shooting we do while coyote hunting in the East much of the time.

And if you have the time to use a rest, we will still have the benefit of sight alignment and trigger familiarization.

Quote: If you reliably can hit a target the size of a coyote through the woods offhand from both strong & weak side with your heart pumping from adrenaline, more power to ya...

I will preface this statement saying I mean no offense, so lets not go down that road again :)After 30 years and more coyotes than you would believe, I don't get a twinge of coyote fever. Or buck fever with a bow either .......... but I used too !!!!!! ....... You just gotta kill more stuff, so your head doesn't mess with ya.

Yes still love killin' 'em, even though I have a cooler hand than I used to.

A 40 yard shot at a coyote left or right offhand is a chip shot. If you get off the stinkin' bench, and practice for the real world. I say that with love, Knockem
grin.gif
smile.gif
grin.gif
Most folks spend wayyyyyy too much time on the bench. After you are zeroed the bench is wasted rounds in New England.

On the rare ocassion I field hunt, I use sticks and am well braced. I totally agree with a solid rest in that senario.

Practice guys, and after awhile, you will be amazed at how well you shoot offhand. It just seems hard cause you never did it.

Practice alot, and learn to shoot aggressively in the woods ........ that will kill coyotes. Not suggesting to take unethical shots, mind you. Just use a powerful caliber, and understand a coyotes anatomy fully. Lots of options available besides a classic broadside.

Be ready at all times !!!!! Gotta shoot to kill 'em.

Originally Posted By: knockemdown
OR, I'm perched up in a stand and can improvise a solid rest from the frame or the tree itself in order to make a high % shot...
Yes, much of the time I am at least leaning back on the tree, so does this make it a true off hand shot? Maybe not...

Back