Fox vs .410 ? ? ? ?

whbonney26

My son is dying to kill a fox. He is pretty good with his .410 and has killed a pile of small game. Has anyone ever taken fox with a .410? If so what would be the best shot to use? I think I can put us in a spot to get a pretty close shot on him. He is only 8 years old and pretty skinny so a 20 gage is out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I dont want to just wound him and this will be his first so I was hoping to get a mount out of it.

Joey

Is the shotgun a full choke? BB is good on fox. You should pattern & penetration test the shell's performance. At varying yardages. So you have a visual understanding of the limits of your shotgun & shell.

Originally Posted By: kirbyIs the shotgun a full choke? BB is good on fox. You should pattern & penetration test the shell's performance. At varying yardages. So you have a visual understanding of the limits of your shotgun & shell.

+1

I dont own a .410 looking into buying one sometime soon though... anyway Ive seen neat looking little "buckshot" shells that winchester makes those should get the job done

my bestfriend shot a nice red with a single shot 410 and dropped him. its all about shot placement and distance, but i think that your should be alright.

The gun is one of the Rossi .410/.22 changeable barrels. I shoot some different distances with different shells and see how it prints. Thanks for the tips.

I would shoot 3" #4's and keep the shot distance to 20 yards or less. You need to be disciplined about that shot distance and not be tempted to stretch it. But a 3/4 ounce load of lead 4's in the lungs of a fox at less than 20 yards will get the job done.

I think I can keep the shot under 20 yards unless they change their habits during the winter. We have been able to sit and watch them this summer under 20 yards.

I agree, a .410 should get the job done... Given the right shot placement, range, shell etc.. Go for it
grin.gif

I'd say go with the 3" #4 shot.Slugs would be alright but I think you'd still have to be pretty close to hit a fox with one out of a .410 but I've never tryed it so I dont know for sure.I've shot a few jackrabbits with slugs out of my .410 and alot of them with the 3" #4 shot and both did a good job.I prefer the #4 shot over slugs for shootin that kind of stuff though.A fox probably aint much tougher than a big ol' jackrabbit but again I dont know because I've never shot a fox so I probably aint helpin you much there.
I guess the only thing I can tell you that might be useful is that you will be able to kill a fox thats a little further out there with a slug than you will be able to kill one with #4 shot.But hittin it with the slug will probably be the hardest part about it I'm guessin.Also there wont be as big of a hole in the fox if you use #4 shot but there might be a pretty good sized one with a slug.I know some of them jackrabbits I've shot with slugs were pretty torn up after takin a hit from one.

Back