bought a catahoula pup how versitile are they?

I got two 8 week old males left.I can get one to Billings real easy, I have a freind that lives there.If you want some details, send a "PM".

Chris, I had 11 pups, they have been easy to sell for the most part, I just haven't "pushed" them locally.
I hate to compete with my own dogs, I would rather sell them out of the area.
I'm sure these last two will "go down the road".
I lost a dog last night, so I may keep one more pup.

Sorry about your loss Duane

We have a pup that's 1/4 Catahoula ...... a now 12 week old female, things are already getting interesting.

My wife's cats would vote no deposit, no return however!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Last edited:
Great diggers if you do not keep them busy!
Mine excavated a 15' x 4' piece of landscape matting, which is ok as we been wanting to pull it out now for years.
The bed is well tilled and ready for planting!
Very industrious dogs.
I just look at it as Den Dig Out training!
Rick H...

I'm real sorry about that. I been real busy, and posted short, just to try and keep up with guys. I should have been more detailed.
Thanks for the concern though,regardless of gettin her back, the concern was appreciated. Thanks guys.

i thought i would post an update on my pup she is a ball of fire fears nothing an bits like a bulldog an i dont mean english bulldog i mean pit or american she can crunch for a pup havent let her gety a look at a coon yet but have let her chew on a couple dead groundhogs mainly just trying to show her as much as posible she will be ready to et a look at a coon in maybe another month

A guy around here had some that would work cattle and if they cut a hot lion track they would run the lion. I have seen alot work cattle great dogs.

My dad had some of the best stock dogs in this part of the country when I was growing up. Border Collies mostly, but he had a few catahoulas in the mix for those tough mama cows that needed some extra "persuasion." I remember one dog in particular. His name was Pal. Most of those Border Collies wouldn't bite much but cattle. Well, they caught a groundhog a long way from his hole and were surrounding it and nipping a little at it. As we rode up there, Pal jumped in the middle of that mess and made quick work of that groundhog. He was friendly as could be, but you had to have some fire on his neck or he'd run cattle out of the country.

A ground hog is nothing but a "snack" for a well bred catahoula.
I work mine on cattle most of the year, and a shock collar is a blessin when they are young. By 2 yrs old though, they learn the whistle, and voice commands, and will only tear up cattle that are on the fight.I handle about 1500 weanlings, and my dogs haven't hurt any of them.
They may "notch an ear" or "shorten a tail",when somethin wants a fight, but when cattle leave here the catahoulas have got em "dog broke".
I also run a Healer, and a Border Collie x Macnab.
Between the six dogs, we can sure get things done.
I will trade good dogs, for poor cowboys any day.

Duane, I agree, a good dog is worth his weight in gold. One man with good dogs can accomplish what it would take three or four good cowboys to do. Being able to send them down into the brush and have cattle coming out to you saves a lot of work. My family runs around 600 cows and backgrounds a couple hundred stockers a year. We've just got "chasers" now, they aren't the dogs we used to have.

Nope, a groundhog wasn't much for him. We don't have badgers here, though go a couple of hours north and you'll find some. Working cattle is all we used dogs for growing up, so those are the only other thing I saw him work on, unless you count the neighbors' dogs. His hard headness and not wanting to mind is why he wasn't taken out every time. But when you needed a little something extra, that catahoula would get the job done.

Good dogs can get those weanlings dog broke pretty quick, with few exceptions. But a 1300 lb Brangus cow that's been in the back pastures all summer and doesn't think she needs to take her baby to the corral for the fall working, there's a different story. They seem to need re-educating from time to time. I've seen lots of cows come out of the brush with torn ears and bloody noses, with those border collies heeling them everytime those back feet hit the ground.

It gives me no greater pleasure to see a cow so wound up that she wants to fight the horse, suddenly have an attitude adjustment where she's running and bawling, with the dogs heading her toward the corral. Sooner or later, they decide getting chewed on is just not worth it. I've seen hot cows that want to fight sour some good horses for that kind of work. Good dogs save time and make it a less hostile work environment for sure.

BTW-I enjoy your posts Duane. I appreciate your insight into the world of decoy dogs. It's also good to see folks who appreciate what a good stock dog can do on this board.

Mo, I make my "livin" as a ranch manager, decoy dogs, and runnin cats is a "hobbie".
My stock dogs have payed my way for years. There is nothing finer than a good stock dog.(good bein relative to the task at hand)I have head dogs, heal dogs, and brush dogs, the trick is to use the right dog at the right time, or have a huge wreck. I learned by havin "huge wrecks".HaHa!!!

Originally Posted By: Duane@ssuThere is nothing finer than a good stock dog.

That is right, with one exception: A group of them!! A good group working as a team can do wonders. As for the huge wrecks, they aren't much fun at the time, but make for a good story. A good shock collar hides a multitude of sins!

Back