AZ Prescott area hunting

TREXX

Coming out to see my parents and wanted to bring my ar15 out for whatevers in season.Coming 10/25 to 11/7.Can someone tell me whats in season and maybe an area to go?Thanks for any help.

Prescott is like anywhere in Arizona. It's just a matter of calling them in. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I would be careful while out in the field, because deer season will be going on at that time. Maybe you'll even see me out there deer hunting! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Overall, I'd say there are some good areas in Prescott for coyote, but I wouldn't highly recommend it. Although that's just my take, all I really do in Prescott is deer hunt.

Good luck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Steven

Quail (shot gun only),Coyotes,both cottontail and jackrabbits are in season, PM me and I'll get you to a decent area. Pretty much all else is a lottery.Also check azgfd.gov for lic. info, seasons etc.Don

Last edited:
Quote:
Coming out to see my parents and wanted to bring my ar15 out for whatevers in season.Coming 10/25 to 11/7.Can someone tell me whats in season and maybe an area to go?Thanks for any help.

Trexx,

Prescott Arizona is right in the middle of some outstanding predator calling areas. From Prescott you’ll have near immediate access to areas that have coyotes, bobcats, grey fox, and numerous mountain lion territories. One of the hardest things to overcome right around Prescott is the limited access and private land parcels that prohibit hunting access. However with a small amount of driving there’s plenty of great calling.

Coyotes, fox, bobcat, and lions are all in season in late October / early November. You will need an AZ hunting license and if you feel lucky a mountain lion tag too.

Just a few ideas:

Highway 89 south out of Prescott. As you take this road toward Yarnell and Wickenburg there are thousands of acres of predator hunting.

You can go NW of Prescott to a forested area called Camp Wood. This wooded area provides some excellent areas for calling fox and bobcat, and the habitat is known for cougars too. We have called a few coyotes up there too. Make sure that you’ve cleared the private land that you’ll cross getting to this location. I've run into a few other predator callers in this area.

Camp Verde is just down the road to the east of Prescott. The best way to get there is to drive to Dewey and then take 169 east to I-17. Then go just a few miles north to Camp Verde. Once you’re in Camp Verde you’ll be able to connect with 260 that heads NE. If you stay low there are many great locations to set up for calling coyote and bobcat. As you go higher up the hill you’ll eventually connect with 87 and the Fossil Springs Wilderness Area. In this area you’ll be hunting in the timber along some rocky canyon areas. This area will provide coyote, bobcat, and grey fox. There have been a few fortunate wildlife callers who have taken a lion in this area.

Reminder - as you drive toward Camp Verde on 169 from Dewey, there are some opportunities to scream up a dog before you get to I-17. You might even run into another group out calling. This section of 169 has been a favorite calling spot for several guys I know.

These areas represent just a small number of the opportunities in and around Prescott.

Enjoy your hunt,

Mark Healy

Back