Mauser 3000? Anyone know anything about these?

Rick James

Well, I got married 2 weeks ago, and once back from our honeymoon last Saturday, my father in law gave me one of the coolest presents I've ever gotten. His prized and most favorite deer rifle, that he purchased brand new in the early 70's.

The gun is a Mauser 3000, in 30.06. It doesn't look quite like your typical 98 action, but it is the absolute smoothest action I've ever cycled, like it's on ball bearings. It wears a wooden stock with a rosewood forend and grip cap, and the stock is a really nice piece of walnut. He actually refinished by hand a few years ago. The bluing is flawless on the gun, and the trigger is VERY crisp at around 3-4lbs. It's wearing a thinner taper 22" barrel and has a hinged floorplate that is engraved.

Anyone seen one of these? What actual action is this? I haven't shot it yet, but I'm curious if anyone here has experience with them, and how accurate they are?

It's a Mauser (made by Heym for Mauser I think) just not a 98 style. Most had hammer forged barrels. I had 3 of them at one time, bought them new in the 70's. All shot well seems like they were in the 125 to 150$ price range . Not cheap in those days. As you said super smooth.

Originally Posted By: Rick JamesAnyone else with feedback on these guns? I'm curious what type of accuracy I should expect out of this gun.

Shoot it and see for yourself. It is impossible for anyone to guess the accuracy of your particular firearm.

Back