6mm-250 or 6XC anybody have one or shoot one??

ilmo

6XC is 6mm-250 with a 30 degree shoulder .....

I have been thinking about getting a heavy barreled 243 ai rechambered to one of these rounds for a PD gun....

seem like holds more powder than a 6BR for a few more fps....
and less powder than a 243 or 6mm s so don't heat up the barrel so fast......
hear good accuracy almost like a 6br.....

anybody have experience with either these.....
where do you get reloading dies...
would you do it again.... likes or dislikes....

thanks.,
R

I just got a 6-6.5x47 Lapua for the same reasons you are talking about. I love it. It is inheritly accurate like 6BR.

Very accurate, runs on 39.5 grains of powder, longer barrel life, etc.

Get 6.5x47 L brass, Forester Full length die set and it necks it down to 6mm and you are ready to go.

Easy and dies and brass are readily available. Bruno's for brass and Midway for dies
smile.gif

see my post here in firearms section.

I also have a 243AI that I run 105 and 115's thru.

Last edited:
The plus side with the 6XC is Norma makes cases for it. The 6XC is plenty accurate. I have seen what the cartridge is capable of a few times, made enough impression on me to want to build one. I postponed that project, but considered the 6XC because it feeds from my magazines better than the 6Dasher.

For single shot feeding, I prefer the 6BR improved. Just because it is efficient on powder consumption/barrel. I don't have any experience with any bullets lighter than 105, but I am sure it pushes them fast enough for varmints.

Considering the fact that you need a high volume prairie dog rifle, I would opt for already formed cases of the 6XC in Norma, because it can be alot of work to create false shoulders for fireforming (like on the Dasher). Forming 6XC brass from 22-250 dosn't look fun either.

I would look into Forster Dies or Redding. They both make dies for the 6XC. I'm sure Sinclair International has something.

I shot the 6x250 for awhile just neck up 22-250 brass used a 1/14 twist barrel if I had to do it again I'd do the 6x250AI.

You can always get into a debate over which case is best.

Why not debate? Each case has their qualities, a better informed decision will lead to a better choice. Life is boring without choices.

You can choose to neck up 22-250 brass for a 6-250. You will want to use a 6mm expander mandrel along with sizing wax inside the necks. When you are finished applying wax and sizing you then have to remove all the wax from inside the neck. If you are doing 300-500 cases, that would get old.

Winchester 22-250 brass is fine, the price is right, readily available. Norma makes already formed 6XC brass, start loading no prep work. Norma even drills their flash holes so you don't have to debur them. Cost a bit more, but its very consistent. Like you said basically a 6-250 improved.

Dies aren't really an issue, because they are both available.

I like what Yotes2call had to say. I did the exact same thing. I run 39.6gr of H4350 with a 108 berger and it shoots in the .2's Excellent Lapua brass. I really dont think i will ever build another rifle if i cant shoot Lapua brass in it. I have a 30BR in the works at the moment. Cool Stuff!!! Lee

I agree that the 6-6.5x47L is a good choice, too. I would rather neck down, and the 6x47L shoots! 2 great choices, but Lapua brass flash holes are punched and you still get those burrs. Norma 6xc is 17cents a piece cheaper. A small point, but the plus side to Lapua brass is it will handle higher pressures better, which you might encounter under the sun shooting varmints.

Last edited:
I had a 26" hart barrel with a 1-14 twist chambered in a 6/250 with zero freebore.

I shot the 60's at 3800-3850-38.5g of WC844
65's at 3700-37.0g of WC844
70's at 3550--3600-35.5g of WC844

I used PMC brass with a Fed 210 primer.

Since it was a custom wild cat, your loads may vary start 5% lower and work up.

At the same time, I had two 28" Pac Nor 1-11 twist 6/250 AI's. The accuracy nodes in these two barrels were right on the heels of the 243 AI, but needed full length sizing after firing-70's at 3800 fps. So, when those two barrels were shot out, I elected to just go the route of the 243 AI and never have to full length size the brass again with those speeds.

I wish that I had given the 6/250 AI another try before selling the brass and reamer...a guy can only fool with so much crap.

Groups were in the low 2's to high 2's with all accuracy loads with occasional groups in the high 1's. Accuracy at 300 was less than 1 inch.

Every custom gun that I had put together shot tiny groups, without Lapua brass. Lapua brass is really nice brass, but it is the icing on the cake, not the cake itself. A rifle that has a minimum spec Match chamber, top quality barrel, put together by a gunsmith that knows what he is doing, should shoot bug holes...if it does not, you should buy some wind flags and figure out what is happening with the wind at your range.

You have to ask yourself, how did all those old guys shoot all those tiny groups before Lapua starting making brass? Benchrest guys were shooting 1/4" groups with 22/250's in the early 60's, perhaps before that.

Last edited:
I just bought 500 pieces of 6.5x284 Lapua brass and the stinking cases need deburred, at nearly 95 cents a case they ought to do better. Same with the 500 pieces of 6br brass,pretty sure their punched, want pictures? Note:this piece of brass was not hand selected, it was the first one I pulled from the box.
100_0682.jpg

For comparison, I used my 6x45 this year to nail p-dogs at over 700yds, witnessed...

Just use .223 brass & neck up, piece o'cake...
70gr Blitzking, deadly accurate and explosive!
~25grains of powder, very efficient...
Hardly any recoil. Spot your hits and correct for misses...
Looooooooooong barrel life, not a barrel burner by any stretch.
Superb accuracy...

Oh, ya, it's an AR (DTECH) too...
P-doggin09013.jpg

Out to 300, it pops them real good with the 70BKs. Closer in, it is flip-city, with red Jell-o splash...
laugh.gif

With 25gr powder, my 20" gets that 70gr going a hair under 3,000fps. IIRC, I was 20.5 MOA UP for that longest dog, (738yds, 200yds zero, 2.5" scope height). Not a 'hot-rod' by any means, but the allure to the caliber is it's accuracy, economy, & barrel life. Three things that mean alot for high volume shooting...

Having shot yotes for years with a 223, I must say I was impressed with Crapshoots 6X45. It does seem to put a better "thump" on them. I never would have guessed.

Maybe its the wider bullet diameter. I know that you can push a wider diameter bullet faster with the same case/charge, even when its the same bullet weight as the smaller caliber. (less bearing surface/friction).

I was just thinking the ballistics would be better for the 22 caliber because the b.c is considerably higher for comparable weights. Terminal performance could be different.

That is kinda why I shifted gears on my 6XC project. I chose to do a fast twist 22-250 instead. I could shoot a lighter high B.C. bullet relatively fast. I am not so much worried about throat erosion because it will be a low volume varmint gun, mid range rockchucks.

Last edited:
Gotcha Fly...
I think the 6x45 in an AR is great because it allows you to 'fire for effect' without heating up the barrel or smoking it out in a couple days of hot action. For rockchucking, a 'hotrod' would certainly be in order. I can relate, being a woodchuck shooter also..

When prairie doggin' at distance with an AR, you can 'walk' the next shot it quicker to beat the wind. Just spot your miss in the scope, hold the correction and send another one fast before the wind goofs on ya. Heck we were holding almost 10 MOA WIND on some of those long shots!!!

There were plenty of times shooting past 500yds when the first shot was a miss, thanks to the Wyo wind. But the 2nd one was one the way so fast (thanks to the AR) that a hit then was almost routine...
Far as high volume, I burned 600rds in under two days of shooting with nary a hiccup or loss in accuracy. Never cleaned it once either. Moly'ed boolits to thank for that...

That sounds like way too much fun! I know a couple of lucky guys who headed to Wyoming to shoot prairie dogs, Verminator2 and his pops. I think he said he nailed one at over 800 yards with his .243A.I and launched it like 10 feet in the air even at that distance, thats what I'm talking about baaaybee!

Maybe I will hitchhike over there someday.

Tanner, I hate to ruin a good story, but it was at 780
laugh.gif
We are going to get as bad as fishermen with our stories
wink.gif
But it did get blown to a side a good 8-10 feet, pretty impressive at that distance! Just a heads up, my barreled action with the Krieger should be here some where around the 17-18 of August. You better start practicing for the F-Class match in September
wink.gif

Back