Whats the best .243 for the money on the market today??

[/quote]I would strongly advise all members to stay away from the Mossberg ATR, unless you like wearing your rifles....... [/quote]

I wouldn't mine shoots awesome and I know of five other buddies that have them and all reload and have yet to see any problems. I've had mine 3 years and put hundreds of "HOT" rounds through it. I think its a bunch of classic internet BS, probably started by guys that spent more money on a gun that didn't shoot as good as their buds ATR. For every picture you can show me of a blown up ATR I bet you I can find 5 of any other make of rifle. Mine does this on a regular basis, the circle by the way is the outline of a dime.
[img:left]
CIMG1922.jpg
[/img]

Last edited:
If you really wish, go ahead and find me 15 blown up 700's. Otherwise, stop making such assinine comments. Last I knew of, there are 3 lawsuits filed against Mossberg right now. It is a design flaw. Not a plugged barrel, not user error, not a bad batch of steel, just a purely schitty design. One in which I'm sure Mossberg has addressed, seeing as how 2 guys have had bolt bodies fly back and smash them in the face upon firing, and another has lost the use of his hand. But you go ahead and enjoy yours, I like my lugs to lock......

Tikkas are good shooting rifles, and I really like their triggers. I imagine they have good barrels also. There are other things about T3's I do not like, however:

Too much plastic where other guns in the same price range use metal. BCB pointed out to me years ago that the plastic is actually very durable, and I have to agree. I just don't like what it does to the overall appearance of the rifle, and would still prefer metal parts for my $.

They only come in one action size and therefore utilize different bolt stops and have spacers in the magazines.

They are too hard to top feed.

The "recoil lug" makes me laugh every time I look at it. It may work, but......

It's just one cost-cutter after another, and when all is said and done, I don't think it makes for a very appealing looking rifle either. JMO......

Mossberg quality at it's finest. Notice the bolt body, which is splined, is press fit, yes press fit, into a smooth bolt handle/shroud assembly. In a failure, the bolt handle turns, yet the bolt body stays still, with the shooter never knowing the lugs are in fact, not locked. And/or, the bolt handle and shroud simply comes apart of the body, upon firing. Either way, the bolt takes the shooters head off. Good stuff:

IMGP2424.jpg

IMGP2429.jpg

IMGP2427.jpg

Why anyone would even consider wasting their money on such a POS is beyond me, when a proven, (re: safe) design can be had for not much more money. Of all the places to cut costs on a bolt action rifle, the bolt ain't it.

MPFD--I figured a pic(or 3) might be worth a 1000 (or 3000?) words. Your bolt may be working fine now, but who's to say it will continue to do so? That thing could let loose on ya. At least have it checked out, or contact Mossberg and maybe they will give you and your buds new bolts or something. Knowing how that thing is designed, I wouldn't want any part of shooting one. Hate to hear of more hunters getting hurt........

Originally Posted By: knockemdownOriginally Posted By: CoyotejunkiIMO,
Best bang for your buck? Get a used Rem 700 sporter.

Good advice right there...

Yep. But you can also get a new one with a scope from Walmart for around 5 bills.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunYou really need to decide what you want in a rifle. The 2 rifles you describe are both good IMO, but both very different. One is heavy barreled, matte black carbon steel, and goes around 8.5lbs. The other is sporter barreled, stainless steel, and goes around 6.5 lbs. Decide what features you want, and get back with us......

2muchgun,

Well for sure I want the lighter of the two rifles, so I guess that means I would be steering towards the Savage then. I took a ride out to Cabela's in Michigan and had the chance to put my dirty paws all over it. To be honest with you, it was love at first sight and touch. The rifle was light weight, smooth action, fit nicely in my shoulder, and had a great finish to it.

So, for sure the Savage is at the top of my list at this time.

Thanks!

Savages are priced well, shoot well, and made in USA. Not my favorite brand, but can't argue with any of that. About the only thing that would concern me would be the stainless. The model 16fss I had was brushed stainless, not bead blasted, and I hated how bright it was. It gave off a glare in the sun also. If the 16fhss has the same finish on it, I would definitely have it bead blasted.......

DMFD, I hope you find the perfect rifle for you. Just remember, with some folks, only the rifles or items they own are good and everything they DON'T own is a piece of junk.

It's just like going to SOME gun stores or car dealerships, the guns on the shelf and cars on the lot are worth big bucks, but the gun or car you're trying to trade in isn't worth a wooden nickel.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunTikkas are good shooting rifles, and I really like their triggers. I imagine they have good barrels also. There are other things about them I do not like, however:

Too much plastic where other guns in the same price range use metal. BCB pointed out to me years ago that the plastic is actually very durable, and I have to agree. I just don't like what it does to the overall appearance of the rifle, and would still prefer metal parts for my $.

They only come in one action size and therefore utilize different bolt stops and have spacers in the magazines.

They are too hard to top feed.

The "recoil lug" makes me laugh every time I look at it. It may work, but......

It's just one cost-cutter after another, and when all is said and done, I don't think it makes for a very appealing looking rifle either. JMO......

They shoot extremely well due to the fact they have good adjustable triggers, the barrels are Sako top line barrels (no cost cutting there), and for less than $500-550, I don't expect a whole lot in looks beyond what they are in this day and age - a good shooting, utilitarian hunting rifle.

Apparently the recoil lug arrangement works, or I doubt they would shoot accurately at all... I've never tried to top load one, so I'm totally ignorant about that issue. But I've never tried that with an AR-15 either. I bet it is hard to do....

I just change or reload magazines on both makes of rifles if needed.... Am I missing something there in my technique....? Maybe on that issue, "Ignorance is bliss", so I guess I'll just have to "wallow in it", huh?
smirk.gif

-BCB

Just trying to educate some who may not be familiar with the design. They are big boys and can make their own decisions..........

Back