howa ranchland compact..... good or bad

yotedude312

looking into getting a ranchland compact but havent heard really anything about them so if anyone knows anything. please let me know. THANKS.

I just picked up one last weekend at a gun shop, and they look pretty good, and it handles OK....for me, I like my gun a little barrel heavy. With the short light barrel, it balanced too far back for me. The other thing I don't care for is the tackiness of the Hogue stock. I have one on my .223 Winchester M-70 and really don't like it, but that is just me.

I would say that the reputation Howa has for accuracy will not disappoint despite my dislikes!
wink.gif

Good Luck,
Tim

I was thinkin real hard about buying one of these for awhile. But when i handled one and a tikka at the same time the tikka was the one ended up buying, just liked the way it felt better. thats just me though, however i just sighted in my tikka tonight and shot some great groups so im happy. im sure the howa is a great rifle, its all about personal preferance

I have one of the howa 1500's with the tan hogue stock(a .243), which is essentially the same rifle with a 22" barrel, rather than the 20" that the compacts have. No complaints, nice light gun for carrying. Easily groups under an inch with factory ammo. I just saw the new Ranchland Compact in full Desert Shadow camo that they're now offering and I'm tempted to pick one up in .204. Glad they jumped on board and offered something to compete with the Savage and Remington Predator models. And at about $150 less, it's a definite contender!
ranchlandcamoscope.jpg

I have the rifle pictured above. The camo job terrific. I even left the Nikko sterling scope on it just to see how it worked as a package. The rifle is in .243, it easily shoots under .5 at 100yds. I would definitely recommend getting one.

the desert camo was the one i was thinking about in .243. but i guess i'll have to just get in the gun shop to see what everyone has to offer. thanks for the help everyone

Definitely no flies on the 1500 action. Been tryin' to tell guys here that for years. I know a couple of well respected smiths who like them, as well as a few internet buds who have built a bunch of customs on them. They make a fine basis for a custom huntin' rig.......

I must be the unlucky guy cause I bought a 1500 and it didn't shoot. Then I was dumb and got another and it didn't shoot either. I do hear they are accurate but that was not my experience at all.

I own a Weatheryby Vanguard in 22-250, complete with a Tupperware stock, that is an outstanding shooter.

In reality, by design, the Howa action is similar to the Mauser 98 and the Winchester Model 70 with its flat bottomed receiver and its integral recoil lug. From a bedding point of view, this makes it considerably different from a Rem 700 or a Savage cylindrical action.

Technically, it has a slow lock time and heavy striker force comparable to the old 98 Mauser, but in typical field conditions for a hunting rifle, that is a mute point in terms of "shootability". That fact may keep it off a few BR tables where a shooter is looking for every accuracy "advantage" he can find, but it will not affect the typical hunter using a Howa in any way shape or form while hunting.

For the money, they are probably as good as any other action you might put on a hunting rifle.

-BCB

I also have a Vanguard in 22-250. Wood stock. Would venture it to be a good 25yrs old. It was one of the first truly accurate factory rifles I owned. I used to take roofing nails and push them into cardboard boxes and practice blowing the nails out of the box in various field positions and at different ranges. God that seems like a long time ago now........

Back