thinking of geting a bow and hunting

psdavidson

I used to shoot 3d about 10 years ago with a old power mag bow.
well it been long gone now but I been thinking about hunting with one. I never hunt just shot targets.
every one around here says to hunt out of a tree stand to be successful. I know nobody that hunts from the ground.
what do you guy think. tree stand or stalk? thinking trying white tails first.

Tree stand hunting will be the easiest unless you are super sneaky. If you can place your stands in high travel areas or funnels between food and bedding grounds you should be successful.

In my opinion I would say treestand you'll get a hundred different opinions but only you can decide the best way for you to hunt.Thats just my 2 cents worth anyhow.

I was afraid this how it really needed to be. I dont have a tree stand and I hunt public land. just afraid it will get stolen.

most states dont allow you to hang a stand for more than the day you are using it, considering that a climber is the way to go and they are fairly light these days. I have hunted both ways from a tree stand and also spot and stalk. I prefer spot and stalk. the other option is a ground blind.

Here is the way I did it on public land. If hunting on an area with lots of trees that that are suitable to using a climbing stand that is what I would use. If not then I had a set of lightweight climbing sticks and a lightweight hangon tree stand all together they weighed about 10 lbs and I then could get in trees that had lots of limbs. Both type stands had back pack straps and I could carry as far as needed.I just found a good looking spot and jumped up the tree and start hunting and carried my stand in and out each time. Your success on deer will be much much lower when stalking from the ground although it is awesome when you are successful. There are some good hangon and climbing stands out there but if toteing them a lot I would try to stay below 15 lbs which means it will be aluminum.

thanks guys, I have some time before its bow season here. I found some good place that would be suited for a stand. I been out looking already while hiding my trail cam. I'm not in very good shape right now but I been trying to get that way and have several months before season. in my scouting I been hauling backpack and rifle to get me ready. maybe throw another 15# weight in the pack may help get ready for a stand.

venatic; interesting you mentioned public land. NY has alot of it and still I hear some people saying it is over presuured. Granted, some of it is unless you walk the extra mile. Gun season sure does bring on more pressure. When I first got into Archery and then got a climber I hit a few spots on public land durring bow season, and saw more deer then I ever would have durring gun season.
Anyhow, psdavidson; try looking into a good climber if you got good trees where you plan to hunt. A good lightweight climber will be about 22lb. or so. Carry in & out, nothing for anyone to steal left behind. Takes a little practice getting used to. Starting the climb angle, seat adjustment, harness, etc. Don't want to get to far off topic with that but keep in mind the advantage in height & spotting.

Do a little of both. You don't have to have a tree stand to be successful. I've shot just as many from the ground as in a tree. Find a good brushpile or make your own near a promising trail set on a stool and wait. A ghillie suit does wonders.

I just received my bow for this year. I went with a bow package from Parker. its the ultra lite 31. I think I will be picking up a dog house type blind and using it for this year.
thanks guys for all your help

Back