22 Hornet & Lil- Gun ?

littlepig99

I was wanting to try some LIL-GUN with 35gr v-max and the 45gr hornet sp. But I don't have a clue where to start. This is why. The following is for the 45gr sp.
Sierra manual- start- 7.1 max- 8.9
Hornady man- start- 9.5 max- 11.7
Hodgdon Web site- start- 12 max- 13
This is a big difference for such a small round. So where should I even begin? I'm loading for a NEF Handi.
Thanks

My Hornet has a problem with Lil-Gun and 46 gr. WWHP component bullets--primer pockets shoot loose with just 11.0 gr--don't know what is wrong--but it absolutely loves 12.5 gr. of Lil'Gun under a 40 gr. VMax! I am shooting a Ruger 77 with the heavy barrel.

I would call Mike Daly at Hodgdon and ask him what he suggests--he is the info guy there. I never consulted any other manual other than Hodgdon or their website when I started my Hornet reloading since Lil'Gun is their powder...

Good Luck!
Tim

Lil-Gun is some strange stuff I can load more in my Hornet than I can im my Bee. About 1.5gr less in the Bee under the same bullet. I think compressing it seems to slow it's burning rate.

AWS

Last edited:
Berger makes a long pointy .224 diameter 30 grain hollowpoint that I have had good luck with in hornets and fireballs with lil gun.

I like Lil'Gun, I use a lot of it in my 221FB's But in every 22 hornet I have worked up loads for.... W296 out shot it with almost every bullet I have tried.

Now I have heard of those Handi rifles in hornets to have a bit of a large chamber in them. You might be well off to try and neck size only after your first reload depending on how your brass looks and measures. As with any hornet, keep your pressures low and dont push them to hard or your go thru brass like goose s**t thru a tin horn. Dont expect alot from it and it will treat you right.

I use 12.5gr Lil'gun under the 35gr Vmax in Win brass, neck size with the Lee Collet die, 1" 10-shot 100yd groups on MY good days from my H&R Handi. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

The ONLY powder for the Hornet.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

Lyman manual states 12 Gr of lil gun is starting load 13 max mine is a New England handi and it loves 12.5 Gr and 40Gr v-max bullets

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like most of you are right with the hodgon web site. 12-13 gr. Wonder why the Sierra manual is so low. 7.1-8.9 gr.

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like most of you are right with the hodgon web site. 12-13 gr. Wonder why the Sierra manual is so low. 7.1-8.9 gr.

My Sierra gives 10.6gr.

But you need to understand that not only are there variations in guns, but there are variations in the way that each company determines pressure.

Some companies use pressure guns (not all that accurate) and some companies us the same methods as real folks - reading primers and other signs of pressure.

No two manuals will give you the same max loads.

IMO, Lil-Gun is the best powder for the 22 Hornet. Using neck sized brass and 35 gr V-Max's, work up your load 1/10 th of a grain at a time to find the sweet spot.

My accuracy also improved when I started using CCI 500 small pistol primers.

This load has worked for me, my two sons and many of our friends. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back