A bit of excitement this morning!

Dasher

This morning My son and I went out by the cows west of town to do a bit of dogging.
We set up, let things settle for a minute, then howled. Had at least three dogs howl back. The dogs headed off for the closest howler. My male went over a rock pile and went nuts like he had something bayed. Thought he was on a coyote but he stayed put and did'nt move from the spot. We spotted three coyotes so I let him be to see if any would come into all the commotion. My female was off in another direction sniffing around in the rocks while we were seeing how things played out. Well, one, then two coyotes ran off at about two, three hundred yards. I finally decide to call my male back to see if whatever he was going nuts on would follow. He came back without anything in tow so we let he and the female go back while we were watching another two coyotes hang up out at about four to five hundred yards.
When our dogs went back over the hill they both went ballistic. I stayed put to see if the coyotes would come in.
Finally I could tell a fight was on so I headed over to where the dogs were to find the fight. Well the critter in the pictures had one of the dogs by the nose while the other one had him by the rear end trying to do the death shake on him. The badger let go when he saw me then tried to stand his ground. I ripped out my camera and watched for about 5 minutes to let the dogs do their thing. They were now being extremely careful how they approached him. One dog would head and the other would grab the rear. The dang thing would swing around to get what was chewing on him and the dog would jump staight in the air. Never seen these guys move like this. Quite the battle. Anyhow I put the camera away and went to get out my tone and shock remote to find I had lost it somewhere in between where I was sitting and where I ran to. I tried to call them off but they were way into it. I pulled my 22-250 of my shoulder to see if I could get a clean shot but did'nt dare try because they were moving around so much. Finally he found his way under a rock ledge and got away. The dogs were doing allright keeping him roughed up until I joined in. The badger was abit bloody on his back and rear and all wet with dog saliva. They may have done him in but we'll never know now.
Pretty exciting anyway.

Moved and tried another stand for coyotes but no luck. What a bunch of excitement for about 10 minutes there. This was the first badger they have tangled with. Kinda put the coons they have fought to shame. Pretty healthy sized badger though. Good practice for them. We'll go try again in a day or two. D

dogs223.jpg

Told them to smile, she did he did'nt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
dogs225.jpg

Stryker foaming at the mouth.
dogs222.jpg

dogs224.jpg

Sage and Stryker cooling down
dogs227.jpg

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Awesome Dasher! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Man! That's what a pair of Curs should look like. You sure have an old Bear/Coon Hound buddy of mine drooling. Problem is he's all dogged up already. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Ten-Roger on the "Bunch of Excitement." Badgers are all of that and then some! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Great job Dasher, it can be hard to get the camera out when the fur is flyin.
I sure like a badger catch.Good to see the dogs aren't cut up.

A badger is a "BAD A$$" Not sayin they can't be caught and/or killed by good dogs above ground, because they sure can be,we do it pretty regular. But it takes tuff and smart dogs to "get it done".
Any dog that can even hold a badger till you get there, has got "balls" in my book.I have stitched my dogs more times from badger cuts than any thing else.Even when I get to a catch and find a dead badger, I sometimes have cut up dogs.
Here is a catch. when I spotted this digger I only had one dog along, so I went to the house for a few more.

I posted this one awhile back, but since where talkin about diggers here it is again.

Back