Any of you guys hunt yotes in the summer?

I like to get out in sept., the pups are full grown and come hard to the call. But the bugs are a little stronger then in the winter.

I like to give em a break til fall for several reasons. If you call an area year round, you are going to have some MAJOR call shy dogs in your area. Giving them time to raise pups and live undisturbed for a few months should improve your success come fall.

Yep, I sure do! There is no need to help them spread diseases in AZ. The AZ Game and Fish Dept put restrictions on releasing predators last year to help minimize the spread of rabies in our state. Summer is the most affective time to hunt them to help control numbers. Leg hold traps are banned on public lands in AZ so hunters are the primary tool for removing coyotes here. Plenty to be had if you can handle the heat.

I give them a break during the summer and start back in the late fall. Summer hunting is very hot to try To keep your scent down and ticks and chiggers.

Quote:
Yep, I sure do! There is no need to help them spread diseases in AZ. The AZ Game and Fish Dept put restrictions on releasing predators last year to help minimize the spread of rabies in our state. Summer is the most affective time to hunt them to help control numbers. Leg hold traps are banned on public lands in AZ so hunters are the primary tool for removing coyotes here. Plenty to be had if you can handle the heat.

HUH? WHAT?

People were releasing predators/coyotes in AZ last year???

Was it like a catch and release type deal? Raise em and release em? HUH? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif Let's have some more info on this story man.

HUH?

Sometimes predators are removed from residences for being a nuisance. They used to be caught and released in another location by either the state wildlife department or wildlife removal businesses. That is not being done anymore to help prevent the spread of rabies. The disease has been on the increase in AZ and not just in urban areas. Sorry for the confusion on that.

I only hunt for control or problems not for sport. I use the coyotes around my home turf to train the dogs on and only shoot them if they get too aggressive with the dogs and during fur season. It's priceless when training dogs to have a readily available supply of game.

I also use terriers to den coyotes in late spring and early summer.

I hold nothing against anyone who does hunt them in the summer. Go get them.

Tim

I have a farmer that as lost over 20 chickens durring the day time. Come to find out that a next door farm is feeding a litter of red fox pups. others have seen a fox bring back a chicken on the road. so home owner has asked me to step in and help. It sucks to have to shoot them know but every farm around them has lost all or most of there chickens. I know for a fact that there is at least 4(seen on tape playing with horses in pasture). I just wish it was winter and the fur would be worth something might have to mount one great colors

Not till late fall. A long time ago I trapped for a living and I still have fur quality on the brain even though good fur quality is not worth anything.

Just got one last night. A young one came in from behind me, it ignored the wind, lol. Beside me he was about 10 yards and by the time I shot he was 20 yards in front of me. Scared the crap out of me but I shot him in the head. Barely remember aiming but somehow drilled him.

So yes, I hunt year round except for april, may, and june.

By the way, he was already 3/4 grown. Must of pupped early.

Not usually, but did see some chasing some deer the other day, so made a call, had 4-5 bunches howling, but nothing came. Did shoot one two nights ago, was a young female, was almost grown, and not very bright.

any body know the best way to get rid of a problem fox. One of the farms that I hunt on as lost over 20 chickens there is a den of 4 fox
(seen on video all playing togather). I have tried calling them with no luck and have 4 snairs set. What else can I do

Not sure where you live with the fox problem but if its somewhere in the lower half of the state then snares are illegal and so is denning..
P.S. Fox are protected and the season is not open yet.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

As for hunting this time of year i don't do it untill fur is prime no matter how many chickens or deer the animal has killed.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Last edited:
if it is a problem animal you can kill when ever needed that comes from the dnr and for snares I called the DNR and as long as it is on private land it is game on. this is from the trapping regs in regards to snares in the lower part of the state
General Restrictions for Snares
• Bears cannot
be taken
with snares.
• In the farmland Furbearer Zone no person may set, place, or operate
any snare except as a waterset, other than from Dec. 1 to March 31
when snares are allowed on land except on public lands, road rightsof-
way or in fence lines along road rights of way. A waterset is any
snare set so that the snare loop is at least half submerged.
Use of Snares
• The diameter of the snare loop may not exceed 10 inches.
• Snare cable or wire may not have a diameter exceeding 1⁄8 inch.
• No person may set, place, or operate a snare in a culvert, except
as a completely
submerged
waterset.
• Snares may not be set in deer trails.
• Snares may not be used with spring poles or other devices that
wholly or partly lift from the ground an animal
caught in the snare.
• No snare may be set in such a way that the top of the loop is
more than 16 inches above the ground or, when the ground is
snow-covered, more than 16 inches above the bottom of a person’s
footprint made in the snow beneath the snare with the full
body weight on the foot.
• All snares not capable of drowning the captured animal must be
tended at least once each calendar day.
• No snare set for a protected animal may be left in place after
the applicable trapping season has closed.

if you call the DNR hotline they will tell you that as long as they are killing live stock you can shoot them trap them kill them but you cannot transport them alive.

As for the dens they live on a tree huggers farm and she is feeding them she told me I could go and look at the dens in a brush pile but no shooting or traping just looking.

are the fox doing damage on youre property or someone elses?? If someone elses i believe you need a permitt to trap them or a Pred. control lic. since they are protected and the season is'nt open yet..

I am going to say there's a fine line there. My guess is that it would depend upon the local CO and what they think. I'd give him/her a call rather than the st. paul number. I've not had good luck finding that St. Paul folks know what they are talking about all the time.

Back