Coyote hunting in Montana

ironworker

Might be flying up to Kalispell Montana to meet possibly my future Mrs. She has two sons that know the area well but are not hunters. There late father wasn't a hunter.But they want to learn to hunt. So in Mid August how would the coyote hunting be? Dangers to watch out for? My possible futer soul mate say Moose aren't bash ful and there our grizzlys up there.As a Oakland Raiders fan I know I have nothing to fear from a Grizzly Bear.Its the Tics I'm concerned about? Will there be any flying insects attacking me? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Don't know anything about Mont. but
Quote:
Oakland Raiders fan I know I have nothing to fear from a Grizzly Bear

You should be afraid, be very afraid. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Mosquitos will be out in force, but that is what bug repellant is for. The area around Kalispell isn't the greatest coyote hunting in the world, but can be done. Lot's of thick timber, but if you can find some open meadows or clear cuts you might do okay. She is right about the grizzlies, there are quite a few actually, and you would be wise to be very careful. Personally it's the reason I do not do any calling when I hunt over in that country, but hey it's your life. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

All of western Montana is about the same as far as coyote hunting goes. It's not outstanding but it can be done. Go east young man, go east.

There are a quite a few yotes in s.w. Mt., I used to live E. of Butte about 13 miles and was in the woods year round with the dogs and trapped alot back then also, Red fox in the valleys and the yotes are in the hills and mtns.
Good luck, Mike

Ironworker, we would love to hunt grizzlies in this state. Red tape and bunny huggers keep things tied up though. I'd say the chances of hunting wolf someday are much higher than grizz right at the moment. The person that told you to go east gave you good advice. You need to get over the mountain pass to the east of Kalispell. Pretty much if you hunt from Great Falls to the east you will not have to deal with grizzlies. I call and kill a lot of yotes and none of it is in grizz country. Nice thing about Montana is that, hunting-wise, it has a lot of diversity. On a side note, that country around Kalispell has some exceptionally good black bear and whitetail deer hunting.

I live in the Missoula area and travel up in to the Kalispell area quite frequently...I do just fine calling my share of coyotes every year too. Part of the trouble with calling in these areas is finding public ground worth the hunt, or of course private owners willing to let you call. It's alot like anywhere else though. Most owners are glad to see the coyotes gone. Just ask politely, and usually it's o.k. If you go to the south of Kalispell and Flathead Lake, there are a lot of flats and draws in the Polson, Ronan, Charlo, Arlee areas...and they love there pheasants! So, they want the coyotes controlled. Decent numbers of dogs there. Usually you can find places to call there. Just learn where you are with private ground and the reservations nearby. Not to beat the already dead horse either, but I know personally two men (experienced hunters both) mauled by grizzlies while hunting...keep an eye peeled. Feel free to send me a private message if you would like more info...I'd be glad to help.

If you live in Missoula, and aren't a Flathead tribal member then any form of predator hunting in or around Polson, Ronan or Arlee is Illegal. That's all res country and no hunting of predators by anyone other than tribal members. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Well said Unforgiven. Perhaps you should change your handle should be "BearClaw?"
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

Back