Experience with the Remington factory detachable magazine?

Rick James

As the title says, anyone have experience or feedback on the factory detachable magazines? Do they work well? Do they feed reliably?

Where I hunt in the Adirondacks, we do a lot of hunting in large groups, and typically we all unload the guns except for the guy in front of the group when walking in/out. I end up reloading/unloading sometimes a dozen times a day. Dropping the floor plate gets old when doing this, and I can't even count the number of times I drop shells into the snow and have to dig for them.

I've heard mixed reviews on the Kwik Clip conversion kits through Cabelas, and don't want to fork out the $$$ for a HS Precision kit. I'm planning to restock the gun anyhow before this upcoming season, so I'm thinking about buying one of the blem 700 DM stocks off stockysstocks.com, along with the bottom metal for the conversion.

Anyone have thoughts on these?

Last edited:
I had a PSS with detachable mag.

Although the gun didn't feed properly at first, after sending it back to Remington for repair it worked fine.

I didn't really see a need for a detachable mag on a precision rifle, but I could see it being a very handy feature on a hunting rifle.

I don't think I would have one on a rifle used for dangerous game though. If one were to hit the release inadvertently during the wrong moment, the results could be less than fun.

The bottom metal on mine broke, seems cheap. I have seen some new makers in this market that look pretty good. I would search some on snipers hide they have alot of good info

I have the Rem. Mountain rifle with the factory DBM. for about 15yrs now with no problems. If you drop it and bend the magazine lips it will give you problems, but that is expected from any detachable. Should work fine for your scenario.
No problems with accidental release.
No problems with materials of construction.
No problems with normal amounts of dust. [/list]

Thanks so far for the updates guys. I ordered the bottom metal and 2x mags last night. All of the input I've heard has been mixed, so hopefully this works out for me.

I'll update when the parts get here and I get her done.

Back